• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1849 Colt Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Audubon

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an original Colt 1849 Pocket 4", 31 Cal. in very good cosmetic condition. It does have some internal issues I need to address. The problem is difficult to explain. The action only works part of the time and only when the trigger is physically pulled forward. The trigger is loose otherwise. When it is pulled forward the action engages and works on all but one chamber.

First, who is the best supplier of high quality replacement parts, new or original? Second, if fixing this pistol is difficult then who is the best person to call on to fix it for me?

Thanks.

Here is an exploded view of what I believe you have -[url] http://www.dixiegunworks.com/pdf_datasheet.php?products_id=12243[/url]
My suspicion is that your trigger spring is loose or even broken. Dixie Gun Works has modern replacement parts for these guns - the trigger spring is TP0335. They have some original parts as well. These guns are not that complicated a machine - you can tear one down yourself provided none of the screws have rusted in place over the years. If the gun is very valuable, you may want to have a professional do the work to prevent damage. As for who that might be, I would call Dixie Gun Works in Tenneesse about it, they deal in antique guns and I am certain they could stear you to someone willing to work on it for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks J.R.

Are the reproduction parts compatible with originals or are they made to fit specific reproductions only? ie Euroarms and Armi Sport are not interchangeable with each other or the originals.

Don't know, all of my repo's are Uberti's. Not fortunate enough to have an original :( Most of what you would need parts wise seems to be available from DGW. On pages 117-18 of their current catalog they have "Parts for Original Guns - Colt Baby Dragoon, 1849 Pocket, 1862 Pocket Police, 1862 Pocket Navy, Wells Fargo and Conversions". Just about the entire gun is available it looks like, save the frame, barrel and cylinder. Apparently these are all newly made parts to fit originals. The hand & spring, which I suspect in yours is broken - has a part number of YP1642 and is $5.25. Hope this helps.

the trigger/bolt spring will very likely fit or require only minimal fitting regardless of source. Action parts are fairly specific to the manufactures but it is usually possible to fit them to guns from various replica sources.

The old practice with Italian single action army replicas or colt designed caplocks was to replace the internals with Colt-manufactured parts-(not available for anything but SAA, or the Army and Navy sized revolvers) More recently, the metalurgical quality of the Uberti parts has improved significantly.

Back