• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1851 Brass Colt Rep ID Needed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy.... I picked up a 44 cal 1851 brass replica. It's older, and locked up nice and tight, but after a dozen or so shots the barrel seems to have loosened up. The wedge (which used to be tight) has loosened up as well. I'd like to replace some parts and ordered a wedge from DGW, but the only one they sell is toooo narrow. My question for all y'all is this:

The frame is stamped with a "PN" and a star above it. There is also a shield stamped on it and "AD" in a box. It was made in Italy, but by WHO???!?!?

-Skull

Keep yer stick on the ice.

Keep tabs on your frame screws also, brass framed revolvers tend to shoot loose if the loads are heavy, sometimes even with light loads...

Make it a practice to check the screws before shooting and there will be no problem...

*** NOTE OF CAUTION***
Brass screws and threads will also strip out easy, do not over-tighten them, just snug them up a bit...

As for the wedge, if you can't locate a new one, you could have a local machinest or gunsmith make you one...

The frame is stamped with a "PN" and a star above it. There is also a shield stamped on it and "AD" in a box. It was made in Italy, but by WHO???!?!?

I think it is from F.lli Pietta...
http://www.pietta.it/index_2.htm

I got an e-mail off to them to confirm the stamps and proof marks, if I'm right, I'll post it here...

ADDED NOTE:

Good news SKULL: I just got an e-mail back from F.lli Pietta...

"Dear sir, they are our proof marks.
the best regards,

Alessandro Pietta
merchandising and retail manager
SASS # 41531

F.LLI PIETTA HISTORICAL WEAPONS REPRODUCTION"

The "PN" is the Italian black powder proof mark. The other mark that looks like a shield is the coat of arms for the Italian proof house. The "AD" is the code for the year the revolver was actually proofed (this is generally the year of manufacture). "AD" is 1978. I am pretty sure you have a historically incorrect revolver made by Pietta. Colt never made brass framed 1851s and never in .44. The Confederate brass frame revolvers were in .36. Look under the barrel assembly near the receiver for the Pietta logo. It's a fancy "FAP" in a diamond. You can try Gun Works and Taylors for parts. While not historically correct, shooting the revolver will still be a heck of a lot of fun. To have it look more real, let the brass tarnish. Makin smoke...

Back