• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1853 enfield [repro]

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, tac. Sounds like the same Minie I'm using. Supposed to weigh around 510 grains in pure lead?

I couldn't quite bring to mind the facts about the Sepoy Rebellion, but I do remember that it was a fairly bloody event.

Russ T Frizzen said:
What sort of load do you use in the 1853 Enfield in England?

I don't shoot a P/53, but an original two-band rifle by Thomas Turner. 5-groove, 1 in 48 twist, heavy barrel.

For 100m I shoot 75 grains of a 'medium grade shooting' powder sold here in the UK. It's quite dirty, but the fouling stays soft and I can shoot the MLAIC standard 13 shot match + 1 fouler without cleaning.

Beyond 100m shoot 75 grains of TPPH (Proof House powder). When current supplies of this run out I will be switching to Swiss #3 or #4 and have to work up a new load.

Bullet is a 560 grains shallow base RCBS Minie.

David

I used to shoot a 560 grain Minie in my Springfield, but the mold was made from aluminum and I loaned it out and it was never the same after that!

I do like a heavier bullet as I find them more accurate especially at longer ranges. Dan

Back