• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 2 Band Enfield

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtmeredith

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking about an 1858 Enfield for my next acquisition. How easy is it to get the barrel out for cleaning? Also, it doesn't look like you can adjust either the front or rear sights for windage. How does one correct any sight inaccuracies from the factory?

To remove the barrel you first loosen the two lock screws from the left side.

Remove the tang screw.

Loosen the smallish screw on each of the barrel bands and slide the bands off over the muzzle of the barrel.

Cock the lock to the half-cock position.

Lift the barrel out of the barrel channel.

The sights are not adjustable for windage.
The easiest way to correct for a windage error is to learn where the gun shoots and then adjust the aim point to bring the point of impact to the desired location.

Thanks for the scoop Zonie. I was afraid you were going to say that about the sights though. I REALLY hate it when you can't calibrate the sights. I guess its an OCD thing.

I use a tube on a drilled out nipple in a bucket of water on my 1858 so i dont have to take it down every time.Just pump away.

George

Thats a good idea. What size caps do they use, #11? It would probably be a good idea to order an extra nipple or two when I order the bullet molds. Thanks.

All Civil War era military muskets use Musket caps.

Some places sell replacement nipples so the muskets can use #11 caps but there are several different thread sizes for the military guns (all of them much larger than the typical percussion rifle would use). Because of this it's a good idea to find out which thread size your Enfield has in it.

what make is it? My Parker Musketoon and Parker 2 band like the shallow base .575 dia.560g RCBS mold.

for windage sights i have seen one guy modify the ft. base and dovetail the sight.Mine are pretty darn close and vary with the wind direction on a given day so i just hold off.

George

Zonie-I may be missing something but why do the lock screws come into play? I just unloosen the barrel bands and take out the tang screw. But I have an 1861 Musketoon.

Scott

Mark Meredith said:
I am thinking about an 1858 Enfield for my next acquisition. How easy is it to get the barrel out for cleaning? Also, it doesn't look like you can adjust either the front or rear sights for windage. How does one correct any sight inaccuracies from the factory?

If the adjustment is minor, you can file the thickness of the front sight. If it's shooting right, file the left side. The rear sight notch can be filled with epoxy and a new notch can be file cut as necessary.

Duane

"...why do the lock screws come into play?"
-------------

It's just a habit I got into years ago.

On a lot of sidelock guns when the lockplate screws are tightened they tend to pinch the stock and lock against the side of the breech of the barrel.

As you say, the Enfield doesn't really need to have the lock screws loosened.

damron said:
I use a tube on a drilled out nipple in a bucket of water on my 1858 so i dont have to take it down every time.Just pump away.

George

Same here. I found that after taking my Parker Hale 1858 Naval rifle apart to clean it, it would take a few shots to settle back down and group well.
Since I started to use the cleaning tube, no problems.

Latest posts

Back