• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cleaned all of my B/P guns and put them back in the safe, all but one. I coned the barrel of my .54 Haines rifle to the point that I could start a ball and a dry patch with my thumb as the coning instructions suggested. When I shot the rifle the other day, I found that a lubed patch was a bit thicker than a dry one and I couldn't thumb start a ball easily.

I pulled the barrel on this rifle and un-breached it for another round of coning. I think I am out of 220 wet and dry paper as well as carpet tape. When I got the coning tool I looked all over town for the right sandpaper, I could find US made sand paper in the finer grits but the 220 at the auto parts stores was Chinese made which is a red flag for me.

I ended up going on Amazon and ordering a pack of US made 220, 300 and 400 grit as well as the carpet tape. Amazon is so successful because they have everything under the sun, I am a prime member so there is no shipping cost and the item will be on my doorstep in a day or so.

I hate going to the local stores, asking for something that is very common and getting a 1000-yard stare from the clerk who doesn't have a clue about what I am looking for.

Back