• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot the old Lyman 54 some yesterday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SeaBee

My mother's family had a small farm on Bass road just south of you. My brother and I still have it . Grew up shooting and working out there. You must be retired NAVY from the base. All my folks are buried at West Union Church
Medically discharged in Aug 96, copper napthanate inhalation. I was 24…
We’re east of Hwy 14, county line runs along a pasture/garden edge. Couple miles from the old Dunlap Orphanage. Old plantation, 1792 land grant.

Etipp
I'll send u pictures tomorrow of my BP manual. I'm not worried about the charge. I like the smoke.

You know some above suggested
Medically discharged in Aug 96, copper napthanate inhalation. I was 24…
We’re east of Hwy 14, county line runs along a pasture/garden edge. Couple miles from the old Dunlap Orphanage. Old plantation, 1792 land grant.
Kool!!

Maybe we can burn some black sometime

Etipp
I'll send u pictures tomorrow of my BP manual. I'm not worried about the charge. I like the smoke.

You know some above suggested

Kool!!

Maybe we can burn some black sometime
Don’t see any reason why not. This is an “on duty” week for me, M/T and F/S/S, only off T/W. State l.e.o.
Next week is the opposite schedule. Trying to get the front yards prepped for Halloween. But should be here most days off barring doctor appointments.

I was thinking about trying some olive oil. Her Majesty has 3 bottles.
Jam, if you go that route, use avocado oil. Much higher burn threshold. I use it for swiping always and no problems ever.
Her Majesty needs to start cooking with it too. For high temps it's much better and has good flavor.
Figure out a way to make her think it was her idea, or you will be stuck with olive oil for all eternity. You can get it in aerosol spray cans for an easy way to lube a lot of patches. SW

Jam, if you go that route, use avocado oil. Much higher burn threshold. I use it for swiping always and no problems ever.
Her Majesty needs to start cooking with it too. For high temps it's much better and has good flavor.
Figure out a way to make her think it was her idea, or you will be stuck with olive oil for all eternity. You can get it in aerosol spray cans for an easy way to lube a lot of patches. SW
I'll get some today. Has anybody tried castor oil?

Last edited:
Etipp

You know some above suggested that that Graff powder just produces a lot of crud. This seems likely to me but it shoots good and I have about 10 pounds.
If I had that much I’d sure soot it too. Black powder smoke is cool, no doubt.

I would, however, reduce the charge and use a tighter patch/ball combo. By doing those two things, as well as spit patches or some sort of cleaner incorporated as a patch lube, it should most certainly cut down on the fouling.

In your first post you were inquiring about how to cut down on the fouling, did you not? You have been given some solid and proven advice.

Good luck. I hope you find the solution you’re looking for. I’m outta of this one.

Last edited:
For all the fellows getting started in our sport it would be of great help if you were to purchase Sam Fadala book,"The complete Black Powder Handbook"" . I was gifted one years ago and it helped me immensely. There were no forums back then that I was aware of?

Back