• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 New Army Buffalo Revolver

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timothymattson

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a New Army 1858 brass framed revolver, I looked at the 1858 Buffalo, which appears to be the same gun but with a longer barrel. Can I buy
a 12 buffalo barrel and install install it on my current 1858?

I doubt you will get it off without tearing up the frame.

Ive seen many broken frame remingtons on e-bay where it looked like some one tried to remove the barrel and it broke the frame with at the top strap.

cabelas still has them keep an eye out you might get one on sale soon.

Like BowerR64 says, there is a real danger in trying to remove the barrel from a brass framed Remington.

I also do not know of any place that sells those long Remington barrels so just getting one might be difficult.

One of Pietta's dumber marketing ideas is the brass framed 1858 'Buffalo'. It is also made in a steel framed version, according to the Pietta catalog, but just try to find one imported into the USA - Canada has them, last time I looked at the Marstar.ca website.

With a longer barrel it's advantageous to be able to use hotter powder charges to increase velocity, but the brass frame isn't well suited to the battering the cylinder gives it in sustained full recoil with hot loads.

I have a couple of 1858's with the 5 1/2" barrels. If I wanted more velocity with a hot load, I'd consider a more solid traditional 8" barrel.

I got a blued steel buffalo pietta (12") from old south a few months back for 363.00. May have one left? It is a GOOD looking gun and have yet to get serious but was getting a 6-8" group out the corrola door at about 50 yds maybe a bit further. Was using 25 grains and tried both .451 and .457 (a bit tight) as well as .457 buffalo conicals (fit perfect). Got my .454 from cheaper than dirt this week so will get down to business soon.

Ya i will try 777 pyro P, goex 2 and 3 f afore Im done. Should get t dialed in, had one stainless year ago and due to business fluxuations and house payments it was sold :(

Well you wont like this then.

I found a steel one at my local pawn shop, it shot great so i went back and i bought the second one that was up there with it.
Pairoftexas1_zpsca1abfe3.jpg

IMO the brass frame Remington is kinda goofy looking and the 12" barrel just doesnt look right put those 2 together and i couldnt stand it. so what did i do about it?

I just hacked em off.
Pairoftexas2_zps603e1f25.jpg

I put the front sight back on the brass frame myself and got it dialed in pretty good. the stainless i took to a gunsmith and had it put on right but ive yet to shoot it.
Pairoftexas3_zps83bffa41.jpg

Well its weird these 2 had a dovetail but they wernt going across the barrel like normally they slid in from the front. I just kinda dremeld a little slot and then filed it till it fit but it was a little sloppy and not ceneterd very well. I wasnt worried the brass one wasnt taken very good care of and the barrel was pitted worse then any other gun ive ever seen. I could never clean it up i tired everything too.

The pitting was so bad it kinda saw bladed the rifeling so when i put a patch down it, it would snag and tear up the patch. The shocking thing was it shot good. It didnt at first but i think i lapped it so many times it eventually came around.

I took the stainless one to a gunsmith that had the correct tools and he put the front sight on the correct way and it looks nice. Its to pretty to shoot :idunno:

One way you can tell its a buffalo rather then just a stainless target version is if you look at the buffalo or Texas model the manure pietta stamps into the barrel is centered. Since i cut it down the stamping is now more forward on the side then the other versions. The brass frame one wasnt like that, it was stamped further back near the frame and looks fine once i cut it down.

Stainlesstarget_zps73aae7e2.jpg

I like it better the standard 8" length. It looks more normal to me then this cartoonish looking 12" thing. Its ok on some guns in my eyes but for these im just use to seing them at 8" even the pocket ones for some reason i cant look at them they just dont look right. Not balanced or something

Tim, your best bet may be to find some one to trade with. I'm interested finding a Buffalo or similar iron my own self :thumbsup:

Ned Buckshot made the whole thing,the knife scabbard is the sign of the lodge from Josie Wales movie,when he talks to Ten Bears.The knife is Moose antler with cable style blade.Hope that's ok i have to give him credit,that rig will out last me for sure!!

I have a Buffalo Stainless my wife bought me for Christmas one year. We got it from Cabela's. I brought it out last November to win the Pistol Turkey Shoot at the Club. 35 grains of 3Fg Goex, a wonder-wad & a .454 Hornady ball.

Haven't hunted with it yet but I have friends who have used the same set-up for deer.

I believe Pietta is the only maker. Never saw replacement barrels listed anywhere. So buy the entire gun & you won't be disappointed!

Dave

Latest posts

Back