• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have to rethink the spare cylinder idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a second cylinder for my 58 Rem Pietta target model and it always shot to a different point of aim than does the original fit to the gun. It grouped well but to a different POA. The chamber alignment to the barrel is different.
I would imagine that this would be even more if a problem in the bad old days before CNC machining.

Not saying it was not done, just does not seem to be a common practice. Where are the belts and pouches that would have carried these? Imagine you are in gunfight and need to reload your revolver.

This is a good point, BUT nobody has showed evidence the reason for the spare cylinder was, and only was, a "quick reload".

Interesting thought. My suspicion though is that most of these cylinders were obtained in the field. From damaged revolvers.

The problem with this is "damaged" from what? How? So you don't get the revolver repaired OR it was so badly damaged that it cannot be BUT the cylinder survived?

We know that the first revolvers, the Colt Patersons, were sold with an extra cylinder. It stands to reason that this would carry over to some degree. How much? Who knows? What we don't seem to have is:
1)Any CW Period cavalry manual that while usually describing anything and everything never mention spare cylinders or how to use them.
2)Period images of cavalrymen with them.
3)Manufacturer records and contract terms for arms plus parts. (For example, Colt supplied smallish "X" number of certain spare parts for armorer-type "field' repairs.)
4)Unit inspections and inventories of firearms, accouterments, and equipment on hand and present.
5)Issuance receipts/records
6)Arms requisition papers.
So, while I believe spare cylinders may have been carried I don't think it was a common practice and not a practical means of reloading in a battle.

Again, this simply shows that as far as the army is concerned, the government wasn't buying and issuing spare cylinders. So you're probably not swapping cylinders if you are a private in the cavalry.

The first article mentions that when the conversion cylinders started to appear, some revolvers were sold with the conversion, BUT still came with a cap-n-ball cylinder. This is in case the owner can't find cartridges, and has to switch back for a time. THIS might be the key, but not quite the reason....

So the cylinders are NOT for a "quick reload" but we can find scenarios where they could be faster than the conventional way of reloading. WE however miss a couple points.

ARE they for reloading in combat, OR CONSIDER..., was the owner of such a cylinder a little wary of the durability of the cylinder in his revolver? There were a LOT of fakes made of Colt's open top, especially the .44 versions. Steel quality in these might vary a lot, and they were often tough for a person not well versed to detect. EVEN IF the person could tell the revolver was not really a "Colt", did they have the option to buy a different revolver, or was it the default option for them?

Which brings up the question, Had these still existing examples of spare cylinders of which many are still loaded, been carried by folks who had seen or actually experienced a chamber failure in the past? Not necessarily a catastrophic failure where they were injured and the whole handgun ruined, but one where the cylinder cracked and deformed a bit? Did they carry that loaded second cylinder because although slow, they thought they might have a chamber failure and would need to replace that cylinder ASAP?

AND the fact that when a person got a conversion cylinder, they kept their original cylinder, PLUS the revolvers sold with a pre-fitted conversion cylinder would come with the previous cap-n-ball cylinder. Folks assuming that was for situations where cartridges were scarce. Really? OR was it also because the buyers of the new tech of the conversion cylinder were not fully confident the cylinders wouldn't fail? HOW do we know that all of those "spare" cylinders, especially those found loaded, were not mostly carried by folks using conversion cylinder revolvers, and those cap-n-ball cylinders were the extras, and loaded "just in case"?

So perhaps it WAS commonly done, when one had a conversion cylinder, and those conversions were "all the rage" for about a decade.

LD

not to second guess, but if you're being shot at, your small muscle coordination can got south pretty quick ... if it were up to me, i'd do what later bacame known as a Chicago reload

Not saying it was not done, just does not seem to be a common practice. Where are the belts and pouches that would have carried these? Imagine you are in gunfight and need to reload your revolver. Say it is an open top. You have to tap out the wedge. What are using to do that? Then worry about it falling into the grass. Now you have to handle the frame, the barrel, and a cylinder and replace the cylinder. How many hands do you have? Don't drop anything especially if you are on a horse. And assemble the gun. While being shot at. Common sense says I'd rather carry a little more weight and have the extra firepower at the ready if needed. The Remington is more friendly to cylinder swaps but it still takes some fiddling to insert the new cylinder. And what were the manufacturing standards back then? Were cylinders hand fitted? Would they be universally interchangeable? The Patersons were sold with an extra cylinder as part of the package so those were fitted to the gun. Search around. Not much documentation or mention of this being a thing.
The human hand is a magnificent creation, it can be taught to manipulate the keys of a piano flawlessly to make beautiful music, as well as weal a sledge hammer to crush a piece of granite. It has been my experience in life, that a person with average intelligence, with a dedication to learn and practice something, can accomplish amazing things. That would include, switching a loaded cylinder for an empty one under pressure.

The human hand is a magnificent creation, it can be taught to manipulate the keys of a piano flawlessly to make beautiful music, as well as weal a sledge hammer to crush a piece of granite. It has been my experience in life, that a person with average intelligence, with a dedication to learn and practice something, can accomplish amazing things. That would include, switching a loaded cylinder for an empty one under pressure.
True. But compare to the average person. Today, how many people that have handguns or even carry take the time to do intense training with them? I don't think the average person in the 1800's was figuring they'd be getting into gunfights unless they were in the military. Probably more gunfights and shootings today than back then.

This is a good point, BUT nobody has showed evidence the reason for the spare cylinder was, and only was, a "quick reload".

The problem with this is "damaged" from what? How? So you don't get the revolver repaired OR it was so badly damaged that it cannot be BUT the cylinder survived?

Again, this simply shows that as far as the army is concerned, the government wasn't buying and issuing spare cylinders. So you're probably not swapping cylinders if you are a private in the cavalry.

The first article mentions that when the conversion cylinders started to appear, some revolvers were sold with the conversion, BUT still came with a cap-n-ball cylinder. This is in case the owner can't find cartridges, and has to switch back for a time. THIS might be the key, but not quite the reason....

So the cylinders are NOT for a "quick reload" but we can find scenarios where they could be faster than the conventional way of reloading. WE however miss a couple points.

ARE they for reloading in combat, OR CONSIDER..., was the owner of such a cylinder a little wary of the durability of the cylinder in his revolver? There were a LOT of fakes made of Colt's open top, especially the .44 versions. Steel quality in these might vary a lot, and they were often tough for a person not well versed to detect. EVEN IF the person could tell the revolver was not really a "Colt", did they have the option to buy a different revolver, or was it the default option for them?

Which brings up the question, Had these still existing examples of spare cylinders of which many are still loaded, been carried by folks who had seen or actually experienced a chamber failure in the past? Not necessarily a catastrophic failure where they were injured and the whole handgun ruined, but one where the cylinder cracked and deformed a bit? Did they carry that loaded second cylinder because although slow, they thought they might have a chamber failure and would need to replace that cylinder ASAP?

AND the fact that when a person got a conversion cylinder, they kept their original cylinder, PLUS the revolvers sold with a pre-fitted conversion cylinder would come with the previous cap-n-ball cylinder. Folks assuming that was for situations where cartridges were scarce. Really? OR was it also because the buyers of the new tech of the conversion cylinder were not fully confident the cylinders wouldn't fail? HOW do we know that all of those "spare" cylinders, especially those found loaded, were not mostly carried by folks using conversion cylinder revolvers, and those cap-n-ball cylinders were the extras, and loaded "just in case"?

So perhaps it WAS commonly done, when one had a conversion cylinder, and those conversions were "all the rage" for about a decade.

LD
Good points. More questions than answers. For me, if I were going into battle, on a posse, or planning to rob a bank, I'd want extra revolvers to use in the heat of the fight and spare cylinders to change out under cover. If I were an average rancher, farmer, etc. I'd just carry the gun for any unexpected use. Just like today...9 rounds in the .45....no extra mags....don't expect I'll have to use it.

LD
The idea of spare cylinders as a back up or spare part makes more sense to me than a quick reload for the average person. It was a part subject to failure back then. I have spare parts for the internals of all my revolvers on hand. If I thought cylinders would fail I'd have those also.

LD
There is little evidence our army issued or promoted the use of spare cylinders for reloading, likely due to the doctrine of using the handgun to to close and them employing the saber. Most troops did not carry a handgun, they were mostly limited to officers and cavalry troops (hence the saber doctrine)

There was though at least one army that issued the colt 1851 with a spare cylinder and a holster pouch combination as well are sperate cylinder pouches and that was the large and well known and well-respected Prussian Army, as evidenced in my earlier post in this thread.

That we see little evidence of it here is due to that fact that handguns themselves were not "general issue" and confined to certain types of soldiers, mostly officers and cavalry. Calvary likely didn't make use of the spare cylinders for two reasons, the aforementioned use of the saber in close quarters and, as they were on a horse, the ability to carry more weight in the form of extra revolvers. They even had those pommel holsters designed to carry extra larger heavier revolvers. And officers, well likely reloads were not a priority for most of them for the obvious reasons and if they were in combat, they also carried sabers.

You would also, in the case of the Confederacy have to take into account the general shortage of guns, and in particular revolvers, which would have likely driven the use of spare cylinders as getting one revolver was difficult and multiples more so, so the cylinder thing would have been more likely.

The only thing that there is little evidence of is pouches, that spare cylinders were sold and even advertised is well documented as well as pistols coming with spare cylinders. On thing I tend to dismiss those naysayers that right about this issue is, when they start citing the dangers of carrying a "loaded" cylinder, comparing them to hand grenades or claymore mines. Yes, a capped loaded cylinder would present hazards, but a loaded uncapped cylinder would not as we all here should be well aware of, and these "expert" writers more often than not do not differentiate or even mention this. Even an uncapped loaded cylinder would greatly sped up the reloading process, especially if on had a capper around their neck. Uncapped cylinders would also be easier/safer to carry, thus not requiring a special pouch, explaining their scarcity.

A good question may be did those carry spare loaded cylinders carry them capped, or uncapped?

As far as commonly done, I would say the Prussian army's use pretty much says it was "common". Depends on how you define common though as it is a subjective concept.

Back