• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trying too hard?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I took my Remington to the range with high expectations. Concentrated on stance, sight picture, grip, and trigger pull and the first cylinder landed every shot all over outside the circle. Not fun. Disappointed, I decided to just throw lead, pull back the hammer, point and shoot as quick as I could acquire the target and not worry where the bullets were going. That worked. Go figure.
DSC_0970.JPG

Took "Beauty and the Beast" for a "shakedown" run with the new "Screwless Frame" pins and new 11° forcing cone!!
This was 5 shots @ 10 yards off hand.
20241002_140254.jpg

The circled one is from a Dragoon . . .

Mike

What was your powder load?
You Point and shoot. You do not screw sound aiming at the target.

Well, "B&B" is an 1860 Army (Uberti) that is converted to 45acp ( the very 1st one) to allow "uper end" testing of the open-top platform. The load was Hornady Critical Duty 45acp+p.

Mike

Well, "B&B" is an 1860 Army (Uberti) that is converted to 45acp ( the very 1st one) to allow "uper end" testing of the open-top platform. The load was Hornady Critical Duty 45acp+p.

Mike
Interesting. Nice work on the gun and nice shooting but .45acp+p? I think you made your point that open tops can handle heavy loads.

Ed, try dry firing every night for about a week before your next outing. Your goal is to keep the sights from moving when the hammer falls.
Muscle memory will then improve your shooting at the range.

Ed, try dry firing every night for about a week before your next outing. Your goal is to keep the sights from moving when the hammer falls.
Muscle memory will then improve your shooting at the range.
I do have a wooden gun I made in the form of an unmentionable with adjustable spring tension on the trigger and a long pull. I'll do just what you say, keeping the sights on target throughout the pull. It does help and builds strength in the trigger finger so that hard pulls (especially on the unmentionables) are not much of a factor. Dry firing the BP revolvers can be a PITA to do without damaging the nipples over time.

I do have a wooden gun I made in the form of an unmentionable with adjustable spring tension on the trigger and a long pull. I'll do just what you say, keeping the sights on target throughout the pull. It does help and builds strength in the trigger finger so that hard pulls (especially on the unmentionables) are not much of a factor. Dry firing the BP revolvers can be a PITA to do without damaging the nipples over time.
Cut a foam earplug in half and stick half of it in the hammer slot, down further than the nipple, the foam will cushion the hammer fall and protect the nipples.
Best to dry fire with the one you're going to actually shoot.

The foam earplug will stay in place for quite a number of shots and when it does move, just put it back in place.

Just for fun I benched the 58 Remington at fifty yards With 30 grains of 3 F and was shooting at a Steel twelve inch teardrop plate and with being benched and steady the first two cylinders hit the plate all over the place of course but I was highly impressed but after it got fouled up the accuracy just dropped right off the board and I may have nicked it here and there but it was fun and something different.

Back