• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1858 Nipple removal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WALKERs210

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have touched on this subject on several sites, with no reel how to's without damaging something.My 1858 has had maybe 12 round fired thur it, brought it home and a complete tear down for proper maintenance. The first Nipple wrench was one of those cheap thing in a Traditions starter kit, first one came out with minor force. The second wound up with the wrench end twisted out of shape. I purchased one that was recommended by most as being the best for the job. I soaked the cylinder for two or three days in one of the best break free type penetrating oils on the market. No luck at all. I put the cylinder in a pan with dish liquid and brought it to a boil for about 5 min. Attempted to remove the stuck nipples while holding the cylinder in my hand (yes gloved) and maintaining downward preassure on the wrench and turning. The new wrench started to roll the edges so I stopped. I have never been one to believe BRUTE force was an answer for anything and with my health lately a 1st grader has more strength in his hands and arms than I do. Contacted Pietta about this and all they said was the nipples were froze in due to the powder. Then they suggested I use one of their nipple wrenches. Replied to them as to how I could buy one or their wrenches but to no avail. Don't want to start drilling and using ezouts at this point so should I stand on my left foot with my tong sticking out the right side of my mouth while whistling Dixie or what??Any help will be appricated

what about returning the pistol? or just the cyl. seems to me it is a factory defect 12 rounds should not cause this, if one was removed, the others should too. Is this a new revolver or a used one?

I have, on occasion, removed the cylinder, placed it on a flat surface, and used a Craftsman "ignition wrench" of the correct size. Not much clearance, but it works. Use only a chrome vanadium type wrench, not some cheap import junk. And when you reinstall the nipples, use a smidge of anti-seize on the threads.

As you have already contacted Pietta and they seemed to think their wrench would work you should call them again and ask them how to send your cylinder to them so they can remove the nipples.

If they agree, they will either remove the stuck nipples or have to give you a new cylinder. :hmm:

I'm not sure how you are holding the cylinder while you try to remove the nipples but if you have a small vise available get a couple of 3/8 inch diameter pieces of steel.

Place one of these into a chamber and the other one in the chamber opposite the first one. Then, while keeping the rods inserted all the way into each chamber clamp both rods in the vise.
This will keep the cylinder from rotating while you use your strength to turn the nipple wrench.

It was new, have been giving thought that I might just send in the cylinder and let their gorilla break them loose. Tried just about everything I know how to do execpt VOODOO or mobo jombo. Hey that might work.

Sometimes it takes some perseverance before stuck nipples will come out.
If you don't have the strength or tools then bring it to a friend, associate or local businessman that can help you. Some local machine shops don't mind doing favors.
It probably needs some more soaking, heat and strength to get it out.
Keep trying and don't give up.
Maybe the Cavalry will show up just in the nick of time! :wink:

I had one that was pretty stuck like that.

I took needle nose pliers and lined it up with the flats, then took vise grips and clamped onto the pliers down low.

Slipped off twice, but third try was the charm.

Since the revolver was brand new when you shot it, I'm wondering IF you took the nipples out to clean & oil them prior to shooting the thing? If the answer is NO, then some of the heavy packing grease may have mixed with the black powder residue to form a heavy layer of crud. Since you've already boiled the cylinder, at this point you may want to try a good penetrating oil applied around the nipple threads with the cylinder standing up so that gravity can help.

In addition to the above, there have been, from time to time, some posters on this issue that made a part that fit their ratchet sets, so they didn't have to deal with the "soft" lips of the nipple wrench bending. I don't remember what exactly it was, but a guy at a Machine Shop would either have one already or make one for you.

Hope this helps.

Dave

This is becoming a common theme with new Pietta revolvers. A shooter on another forum finally wrestled the nipples out of his new Pietta and found that the mating surfaces of both the nipple and the cylinder were NOT BLUED, leading to the conclusion that Pietta is finishing the cylinders with the nipples installed. This results in a chemical bond, like glue, holding the nipples in place. I can't vouch for his findings, but if he accurately described what he saw it does make some sense.

If that's true the only real solution is brute force, applied carefully and slowly with a good fitting tool. Here's my idea:

Get two 3/8" wood dowels (not steel) and place them in opposite chambers. Install the dowels in a vise mounted on a drill press table. Chuck your wrench in the jaws of the drill head and lower it onto one of the nipples; engage the brake to hold the drill head in the lowered position. Turn the drill head BY HAND to ensure the wrench is fully engaged and will not slip. Apply increasing torque to the drill head until the nipple breaks free.

The key is the use of drill press, dowels and vise to keep the parts properly aligned so the wrench does not get deformed.

Assuming you're going to keep trying instead of making the seller fix the problem.

Try this in desperation. Re-cut a small socket that'l go in the cylinder recess, to fit the nipple flats. soak with penetrating oil overnight (yes again) then use a power drill with a variable torque setting to try unbolting the nipples. The real trick is to set the torque setting LOW so the ratchet slips, acting like a poor mans impact wrench.

WOW!! If this is true, the mail-order houses' phones must be lit-up like a Christmas tree with complaints :hmm: . Potentially hundreds or thousands of complaints?

And once again Pietta gets a bad rap...this time it might just be their own fault!

The lesson in all of this is to clean the revolver from all of the storage/packing GUNK, and to remove & oil the nipples PRIOR to firing. If the nipples are seized into the cylinder send the revolver back to the seller for a swap at the very least!

I hope that this is an isolated incident and I wish I could see this for myself.

Dave

You might try a torch to heat the cylinder a bit. This will cause it to expand faster than the nipples and might break the threads free. I've had to do that countless times with various nuts and bolts over the years and it has always worked.

Guess today was my lucky day. I have left the cylinder soaking upright in a glass container in penetrating fluid for the last several days. I had taken the one nipple that I could remove and using digital mics. cut a socket to .173", using the two dowels in vice as suggested by MYKEAL I tapped the socket securely to the nipple and got out my trusty old Craftsman 1/4" ratchet. Minimum pressure and WOW nipple came loose. Holding my breath I moved to the next and then next. Long story short THEY ARE OUT, cleaned and light coating of Anti-siege on each one and then snugged in. To all I owe a cup of coffee and a hand shake. It just really irritates me when I have something that will not do what it is suppose to do. :thumbsup:

seems it is a 5/32nd" 1/4" drive socket I made mine out of after messing up the wrench that came in the kit (which was fairly soft steel as it turned out)

WALKERs210 said:
Guess today was my lucky day...Long story short THEY ARE OUT,
Excellent! Did you happen to notice if the cylinder and mating surfaces were blued or bare (unfinished) metal?

the Pietta '58 .44 I have now I bought new in '92, many 100's of shots through it still useing the factory nipples although I've chucked them in a drill and filed them a couple times. I have a set of Tresos for replacement when it's necessary - likely next time I need to file any mushrooming. they were installed after blueing it seems as all the nipple was blued.

The threads did not have the deeper color of bluing and one was indeed bare metal. It stood out like a sore thumb. Coated each with anti-seize and snugged the in.

Latest posts

Back