• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 Army Detachable Stock fitting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No problem. When I bought it , it did not come with the original scabbard so I just went ahead and made one, it's not perfect but it works. Originally I had a flap-style on it but then I realized that I wanted to just keep the stock attached so I cut the 'flap' down to what it is now.
Here’s the original

Attachments

• IMG_6975.jpeg
    IMG_6975.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6976.jpeg
    IMG_6976.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 0
From what I understand, the Pietta's had an odd shaped backstrap that wasn't quite correctly profiled. Duellist1954 had a video showing this on a 1851 Pietta, maybe the 1860 Pietta's have the same issue. Maybe that could cause the issue. Wonder how it would fit on an Uberti 1860.

I don't understand why the majority of reproduction dragoons have the screws and cuts for the stock, yet the stocks are almost impossible to find. If you do find one, they're always with the gun, and the seller won't break up the set. I wrote Uberti years ago, and they said they have no plans to make them again. I've only seen one repro (with the gun) in the last 20 years. Seems originals are easier to find. Collectors Firearms in Houston has an original stock for $9500!

I don't understand why the majority of reproduction dragoons have the screws and cuts for the stock, yet the stocks are almost impossible to find. If you do find one, they're always with the gun, and the seller won't break up the set. I wrote Uberti years ago, and they said they have no plans to make them again. I've only seen one repro (with the gun) in the last 20 years. Seems originals are easier to find. Collectors Firearms in Houston has an original stock for $9500!
I agree ,they should at least do a limited run and see how they sell. Apparently they’re not even doing the shoulder stocks for the navy/rem NMA/or 60’ army either. 🤷🏻‍♂️. It must be it wouldn’t be lucrative for them to get tooled up for it and I do get it they ARE in business to make money…….

I don't think tooling is the issue. It would not be too hard to cast the brass parts. Same for the wood stock.

They probably sold poorly when they were available in the past.
I'm pretty sure one could mill out a bar of brass to fit one of the revolver models ,especially if they had an example to copy and making a stock would not be very hard if a guy just had to have one.

Thanks for posting the photo of your stocked Dragoon. Now that I know a bit more about this subject (thanks to forum members), a question please; Is that a Pietta Navy sized stock?
I purchased that as one unit over 25 years ago. There is nothing marked on the stock as to a maker. The pistol is a Armi San Marco 3rd model Dragoon. It doesn’t fit my Pietta. It’s a bit bigger, and the Pietta kind of swims in the stock not a good fit at all.

Back