• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 New Army not firing #10s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firedogross

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I just picked up a Uberti 1858 New Army 44. When I put #10 caps on the nipples it wont fire them...until the second time around. I literally have to hammer them once and then the second time around they fire. The caps are fine, I tried on another pistol. I also tried #11 caps. The fired the first time around, but since they were bigger the other fell off when I fire the first one or two. Any help?

It sounds like your #10 caps are not fully seated on the nipple and that it takes a hammer blow to do so. If they are a tight fit you may not be getting them fully seated. Another thing to check is the length of the caps and it might be easier to pull a nipple to do so. The skirt of a cap should not touch the part of the nipple that the wrench fits on as this can prevent it from seating and will absorb some of the hammer's impact requiring a second blow. It's not uncommon to have caps that aren't quite 100% seated but usually the hammer will seat and ignite the cap with no problem.

You didn't mention if the gun is new or used. Uberties are usually quite reliable but if it is used it's possible someone lightened the mainspring to improve the trigger pull and the lightened spring needs two shots to fully seat and deform the cap and then ignite it.

Change to Treso nipples, pinch your #11's and use what you got, or buy some 10 3/4 RWS caps.

You pick which one is easier for you to do. One of these will work (in most cases).

Dave

It is new... and I had no idea they made nipples between 10 and 11 :hmm: . I am new to BP handguns, picked up a Pietta 1851 navy (brass) a few months ago on sael at Cabelas and now I'm hooked. Bought 2 more in the last month!

Thanks for your help, couple ideas I hadn't come up with :hatsoff:

I agree with Leatherbark. Get the right caps. If you pinch caps to keep them on you have created a condition that can cause a chain fire. Don't ask me how I know. Also don't use your fingers to force caps on to the cones. Use a dowel of wood. Best solution is get the right caps!

firedogross said:
It is new... and I had no idea they made nipples between 10 and 11 :hmm: . I am new to BP handguns, picked up a Pietta 1851 navy (brass) a few months ago on sael at Cabelas and now I'm hooked. Bought 2 more in the last month!

Thanks for your help, couple ideas I hadn't come up with :hatsoff:

Sounds like me! :grin: I bought my 1851 brass framed navy pietta from cabelas back in february. Took it out shooting and fell in love. Since then i have picked up a CVA .45 single shot and a model 1780 sea service pistol, smoothbore .69

Funny thing was, my wife just wasn't as excited about the other 2 guns coming to the house as i was. :idunno:

Leatherbark said:
If your No.10 caps are CCI then they are too small. No. 11 CCI's are too large.

Remington No.10s will be a perfect fit.

Bob

That was the weird thing I found also. The Remington are perfect. Since I shoot a rocklock rifle I keep two tins of #10 Remingtons in my possibles bag for the pistol and keep the CCI #11's for the wifes percussion Hawken.

Ghettogun said:
The short-term solution is to use a length of dowel to firmly seat the caps on the nipples.

^^^This. Not hard to do if you load the cylinder outside the gun using a loading stand. I'm new to this but have had zero problems with CCI #10s on my 1858 Pietta. The tight fit keeps them on and guards against chain fires.

smokin .50 said:
Change to Treso nipples
Dave

That's what I ended up doing on my Uberti 1860 Army. Cost about $40 from TOTW and worth every cent. They are made to fit #11s perfectly and are harder than the factory ones. :thumbsup:

That's weird. I only have the one set, but they fit fine with #11s. How old/new are yours? I got mine about 2-3 years ago.

Hmmm. I'll have to get another set and see how they work. My Dragoon could use a new set anyway.

I'm in sunny (soon to be unbearably sunny :haha: ) Scottsdale. :hatsoff:

Musketeer Von Blunderbuss said:
I'm in sunny (soon to be unbearably sunny :haha: ) Scottsdale. :hatsoff:

Cool, Im over in Mesa. Also soon to be too sunny. Maybe we should get together sometime.

Latest posts

Back