• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1860 New Army not firing #10s

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know there're others here from the valley too. Maybe we could set up an informal shoot/get-together at some point (after the summer! :haha: ).

When I first got into BP, I used to buy my caps, roundballs, and Pyrodex at Arizona Sportsman down on Southern Ave. Don't even know if they're still around. I get everything online now. :hmm:

I envey you. The last time I was in Scottsdale I went to the airplane museum and Dillon Precision. (Bought a 22 conversion for one of my 45s at Dillon) Then I climbed up on the Flat Iron in the Superstitions with my son. I still have relatives in the Chandler area, I believe. If I ever get to retire I'll be looking at AZ and NM as I found my wife in farmington NM.

I usually buy a whole new set of Uncle Mikes stainless hardened nipples with the hot shot hole drilled in them and replace all the production nipples.
I have also taken out all the original nipples and turned them in my little UNimat lathe until they fit the caps I have for my revolvers.
I do this by hand with three cornered files and diamond lap paddles depending how hard they are.
When the cap will seat all the way down and will stay on from tension alone under recoil, you are there.
They should stay on a clean nipple with just enough tension so the recoil will not dislodge them.
I keep a tooth brush handy in a match to keep the nipples clean enough after fouling begins to accrue so I can seat fresh caps. MD

Latest posts

Back