• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1861 springfield questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pappa bear said:
Frenchie:
Please! for the sake of your rifle, use lube! They did during the war, good shooters still do.
(snip)
Sorry for the long quote, but lubing is not an OPTION, it is a NECESSITY!

Well, I guess I'm a bad shooter then. Assumptions... I've not only seen and heard Joe Bilby speak on shooting black powder guns, I've read 'most everything he's written about it, including what you posted there. He's right, and so are you (see, I'm not completely ignorant, am I?).

However, I tried shooting Miniés without lube simply to see what would happen, and although the tenth ball was harder to load than the first, it still went down, seated on the powder, and did not coat the barrel with lead as it made its rapid, unlubed way back up the bore. So, never say "never" and never say "always", I guess.

I think I'll just shut up now, read everything, and make up my own mind without disturbing anyone with my thoughts.

Back