• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1862 CS Richmond Musket

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hilljack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello to all...I need some help....I'm looking at a 1862 CS Richmond Musket by Armi-Sport, 58 Cal with a 1-66" twist...Does anyone have any information on how the Musket shoots and what it likes to shoot?...Does it shoot roundballs very well?...It looks like a very nice piece...Any help and information would be appreciated...

Thanks in advance,

Hilljack

Many people say they shoot round balls well, however they are designed to shoot hollow bas minie bullets. At longer range is where the minie ball really shines over the round ball. I have an Armisport 1861 Springfield that shoots minies very well. I use a .577 Rapine old style minie mold and 50 grains of fffg powder, however every rifle may have a slightly different size bore. For best results a minie that is no more than .002 inches under bore size is needed.

I have a unfired C. S. Richmond from Dixie Gun works [euroarms], I have been thinking of selling,[eyes are to old for sights]; however, I don't know how much to ask for it, or where to get a box or how to ship it?. Any suggestions ??

Is there someplace that sell ready built boxes, and do you have to double box as well ??

I shoot 40 gr. of 2f or 3f whichever is handier with a 575gr minnie in mine. It will hit a 8inch steel plate all day long offhand without a lot of effort. I don't know if it shoots a one hole group but I don't shoot groups with it. Much over 60 gr. and the accuracy goes off due to blown skirts on the bullets. You don't need much powder with these. Can't say I've had the best of luck with PRB though.

ss1 said:
Is there someplace that sell ready built boxes, and do you have to double box as well ??

Track of the Wolf will sell you a VERY nice packing box for about $20. Well worth it.

Depending on the length of the gun i sometimes just go to Wal Mart and get one of the cheap plastic locking gun cases and use that to ship them in. Cost about $10.

They do not have a case for 53" rifle. I will proberly take it to a gun show someday. If I can get it all to gether, rifle over fireplace [don't use it either], banyot in closet, mini balls on a self.

If the stock isn't 53" long how about seperating the barrel from the stock and wrapping each in bubble wrap and then stick them in one of the hard cases?

Back