• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st Build Questions........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smo

70 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Well i'm thinking I want to try my hand at a longgun.I have learned alot of what not to do and that you need a good plan before you start just from reading all the post here.My questions are (1)What would be the best type of gun to start on or does that really matter? Should it be a flint lock or perc.? Should I try to bulid a Longrifle ,chunk gun or fowler first.Is there one that is easier than the other? I know this is alot to chew on at one time,But i'm trying to see what everyone thinks before i start. I plan to us a pre-carved stock and just want to build a simple gun.No carving or bling! Thanks in advance for your help. :hatsoff:

You need to answer some of those questions for yourself first. If you practice patience, it will not matter much which style you build. I vote for a flintlock Longrifle (maybe smoothbore). Pecatonica is a good websight to look at possibilities. You should go to the local library and look through some books that illustrate the different styles to narrow in on what you prefer.

smo:
I would suggest a longrifle "kit" from Pecatonica River in Flintlock.

The Flintlocks are a little easier to build because there is no need to be concerned with the exact positioning of the hammer and the nipple.

As long as the vent (which you will locate and drill) is aligned with the approximate center of the pan and is just a bit more than 1/8 inch ahead of the face of the breech plug you'll be in business.

Flintlock in .54 caliber if you want to use it for deer hunting...

If small game and target shooting is your thing, go with a .40... :)

it really depends on what you want the intended gun to do. if you want a good all around hunting and plinking gun, go with a flint long rifle or poor boy in somewhere around .54-.45. if you think you may want a target rifle maybe lean a little more toward the chunk gun/ offhand long rifles. even still, if you want the ability to do single barrel shotgunning, consider a fowler in one of a zillion gauges. i think you need to answer that first, then come back and ask our opinions.

medic, i agree. if i had it all to do over again, i'd have started with my next build, which will be one of Jim Chambers' fowlers in 20 guage smoothie.

Then i'd build the .45 for my wife, and the .36. and the .40...

If someone told you that you'd only have one flintlock on your wall by the end of the decade, well, i wouldn't buy any real estate from that fellow. :2

I'm building a 58 cal hawken and I got my full stock from Pecatonica River and like what I got from them. Also got my barrel from them too.

Hawken Dan.

Thanks for all the replies fellows.I should have made myself more clear i guess. I plan to build 4 guns. Not all at once and i'm not in any hurry to build any of them nor will i be. I wanting a .32 long rifle in flint for small game,a .45 to .54 cal. North Carolina/ Kennedy style in flint for deer/target shooting. I would like a smooth rifle or fowler in .62 cal or larger for turkey and small game.As well as a chunk gun in cal. to be determined at a later date. I have most of what i will need as far as tooling goes as well as a shop to work in. I'm planning to be liad off for a couple of months this winter and i just can't bring myself to get up and go hunting every day, :haha: So i need something to tinker with during that time.I plan to retire in a couple of years as well and want to have one or two built before then. :thumbsup: I'm just wanting oppions on what would be the best type gun to get into build with. Thanks again for all the replies.

I'll +3 for pecatonica river. They are a great company to work with.

You will see ALOT of compliments on a Chambers kit as well. I haven't built one but understand they are very, very good.

Back