• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

1st time ML buyer w/ stupid questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've been given some good advice, PaulB. In your situation I'd choose either a new muzzleloader from one of the sources mentioned or buy a used one from a trusted individual. The forum is a good place to start if you go used. STAY AWAY from kits (you want to learn a little first), pawn shop gun (same reason) and online deals from people that sound suspicious. Bottom line: get what looks and feel right to you!

As long as the rot isn't faster than 1-48" I wouldn't worry about it. I've had two with that twist and they do fine with prb-and I'd use NOTHING but round ball. You don't have to reduce your powder charge with that twist and .50 is probably ideal in your situation. For deer that's more than enough; I use a .45, myself.

For your first ml you don't want to gamble: finished rifle, new or from reliable source; no kits. Good shooting.

I second what Hanshi says about the twist,I have 2 1 in 48's that shoot PRB just fine. IMHO only buy from a trusted individual as there are many prize finds out there,and just as much junk! The lyman Gprand Trade Rifle are priced pretty good! Check out Mid South,DNR or possibly Midway. midway has a sale on the GPR kits right now! Get something you'll be happy with if your just starting out!Good luck! :)

I am biased toward the Thompson Centers (never had a Lyman). I would bet a week's pay that the majority of this forum's members cut their teeth with a T/C....and look at 'em now! Best of luck to you!!!!

DNR Sports
http://www.dnrsports.com/acatalog/D___R_Catalog_Lyman_Muzzleloaders_649.html

Must have the Lyman Rifles on sale for Christmas. The price on a new completed Lyman Great Plains rifle with 32" barrel and 1 in 60" twist barrel. is $420.00 for the 50 cal. and $415 for the 54 cal. That's really not that much more than the kit when you add in the cost of browning and wood finishing supplies that you will have to buy to finish the kit. The only plus with the kit is you get to customize it the way you want. And the GPR is the best production rifle for the money on the market.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can find a good Thompson Center I would get either a hawken or renegade in 54 caliber then you are ready for anything North America has in game.
Black powder is a good powder to use in a black powder firearm if you can get it. Making it is stupid, read up on how it is made and all the dangers.
I don't know much about the other black powder firearms as I only have TC's at last count I think it is 7.
Lyman is a good company so I would think it would be a good rifle.
Buying used is only hard if you don't know who is selling it. I have purchased many used something like 5 and have never got burned. If you have ever bought a firearm you have most of the knowledge you need. Look to see if it is loaded as yes a lot of them are and use it as a bragining point when buying.
The twist rate is only important if you are going to shoot something that the twist won't handle. My thompson centers solved that for me and yes they do have excellent customer service. The only thing is that someday the sidelock parts just might be all gone. They are 30 plus years young now and I just wonder how long Smith and Wesson the current owners will have parts available.
Welcome to the group and the only stupid/dumb question is the one not asked. Much smarter to ask before then to admit after that you didn't know.

I just recently took a T/C Hawken out of its box {new} in 54 it is one of the finest shooting guns I've ever had the pleasure of sighting in and firing. I love it. And it is made in the USA. I have many muzzleloaders made in Spain and a few made in Italy and they shoot really good and a couple have won me medals at some shoots I get into...but this Thompson Center Hawken just really shines in its quality.Buy a T/C, you won't be disappointed.
Many of your questions, you'll answer for yourself as you learn and prod along. 50 is fine but 54 is probably a better game load. The difference is amazing when you hold them in your hand. I use Goex black powder after many years of using Pyrodex products that may be easier to get in some locations. And I use a patched round ball and have taken many white tailed deer with them in the Adirondack mountains in upstate NY
Have fun,stay tuned here,you'll learn much........ and keep your powder dry

The 1/48 twist will shoot prb and the civil war type hollow based mini's quite well. The 1/48 twist is more sensative to correct powder charge than the 1/66 for prb ,or the faster twists for mini's. But with the right powder charge they both shoot well. I have both the Cabello's hawkins (1 flint& 1 percussion ) and the TC hawkins percussion. Both of the percussions shoot great . The flint I haven't fired yet. (So many guns /so little time ).

Thank You EVERYONE!!!

I learned more reading your answers than I did in 3 days searching the web on my own. A lot of my questions stemed from trying to get my head around what I found. Lots of this way, that way info out there.

You folks are great, sending links to sites I never found & looking up prices.

I THINK (if you smell smoke call the FD :wink:) I'm gonna get a used T/C now and order a GPR kit soon. That way I get a new toy

That sounds like a good plain. I would like to add, that when you start on the GPR Kit, that you do a search on Great Plains Rifle in the Gun Building Section and look for posts on modifying the stock. There a number of things that you can do to the GPR to make it look alot more like a Hawken. Such as taking the perch belly out of the under side of the butt section. Also straitening the buttplate some to take off some of the long pointed toe, of the butt. The toe of a Hawken should clear the ground from 1/4" to 3/4" when the rifle is held verticle and the heal of butt is set on the ground. If you can't find the posts with pictures if you ask I am sure the builders will repost them for you.

Robert

Seems like most of your questions were answered here. This site and its members are top notch. Dont hesitate to ask any questions that come to mind, no matter how stupid you might think they are, and you will get the answers you need. There are plenty of knowledgable, passionate (and patiant) shooters on here who have already made the mistakes you dont want to make. Good luck and welcome to the club.
Also, as mentioned, if you search the gunbuilding section, you will find some great photos of some awesome GPRs.

Thanks. I'll have a look at the builders section that I missed somehow. :redface: I found in 1 day of posting what kinda folks are here, all great btw.

Paul

All I can add is to say a big AMEN to what Flint had to say. In my opinion, he hit the nail on the head. I have both a T/C Hawken and a Lyman GPR. Both are great shooting rifles but I prefer the GPR because it looks far more authentic. Other than that, either will serve you well. Both of my Hawken style rifles are .50 cal and both are quite capable of taking a deer. Just remember, a muzzleloader should not be used for hunting much beyond 75 yards. You will not be using a scope (I hope not, anyway. NEVER a scope on a traditional style ML). Open sights and the parabolic trajectory of a round ball make long range shots something that you save for the centerfire rifles. Part of the fun of hunting with a muzzleloader is the chalange.

Get in touch with Flint, since he lives near you, and see if he can give you any one on one instruction, tips and, perhaps, direct you to a ML club in your area. Joining a ML club is one of the best ways to really learn about ML shooting, gun care and hunting. Most all ML clubs welcome new ML shooters with open arms becauase that is how our sport grows. May I also suggest a membership in The National Muzzleloading Rifle Association. You can get membership info at www.nmlra.org

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Midway has $10 off of a $50 or more purchase, expires the 6th, I think. Make sure you have hearing & eye protection for starters Paul. My six shooter likes to spit pieces from the caps back at ya. I haven't had that happen with a rifle (yet).

Thanks Flint, I'll keep that in mind.

And now for something completely different... :grin:

Ya'll have helped more than you know. 50CAL is from Rosebud, MO, which is near work, and signed his reply Neal. When I got to work yesterday I asked Neal, a guy I work with, if he lived in Rosebud. Long story short, no he is not 50CAL but he shoots BP and hates inlines and the composite ML's on the market. He owns a T/C Renegade btw. So we talked BP for a few mins. Very Cool!!! In the process I MIGHT have a lead on a Hawken of some kind or another that ANOTHER guy knows about. How cool is that. :thumbsup:

From asking a question here to finding out 4 guys I've worked with for over a year shoot BP. Who knew? 1 guy shoots a Flintlock so I can hit him up with questions on that.

I am SO glad I found this forum. :bow:

Paul

Oh yes. The smell of black powder smoke is right up there with a hickory fired BBQ smoke. I wonder what Goex tastes like? :hmm: No, no, I can't. :shocked2:

Flint 54 said:
Oh yes. The smell of black powder smoke is right up there with a hickory fired BBQ smoke. I wonder what Goex tastes like? :hmm: No, no, I can't. :shocked2:

Don't eat it, just smell it! :rotf:

I tell people to "Breathe Deep, for it's the smell of FREEDOM" :) :haha: :hatsoff:

Dave

Latest posts

Back