• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20, 24, and 28

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have a 20 but always wondered if I missed something by not getting a 24 or 28 gauge.

Is roundball accuracy better in the smaller bore? Are 24's heavy nough for consistent turkey gathering and humanely?

Just wondering what my next smoothie will be.

I have a 28 gauge shotgun which is good for pigons, rabbits, and quail. I got it in the early sixties because I could shoot it for 2&1/2 cents a shot and twelve gauge shells were ten cents each.

A local fella is the best smoothbore round ball shooter I’ve ever seen, and shoots a .54 caliber. If round ball shooting is the main priority, I’d go with the smaller gauges. If turkey is the main priority, without any choke, I’d not go below 20 gauge. That doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Because one person has done it (or even 10) doesn’t mean that Average Joe can have success hunting turkey with a small bore gun. Also there are states with gauge restrictions. The 20 gauge is the most versatile in my view.

Right on. I remember when I got my smoothie, there were a couple 58 smoothies on the shelf and a 54 smoothie. Always wondered if my 20 gauge was the correct choice. 🤔 I have had a ton of fun with it but my 3 and 4 inch round ball groups at 50 yds always make me wonder. I have added a rear sight but really do not see a big difference in roundball group size. I even fashioned a peep sight that mounted in a threaded hole in the tang top but again, not much difference between no rear sight at all.

I favor two 24-gauge guns for all my flying targets up to pheasants (with a pointing dog). With a 7/8-oz scoop of powder, 2 cards, 7/8-oz scoop of shot and over-shot card I have no problem knocking down birds to 35-yards. I'm not sitting there with a range-finder and I bet a few doves are knocked down a bit further. I would shoot a turkey but would really limit my range to where the pattern is most effective with larger shot. Neither of these guns have much choke but depending on the components I can get what I would describe as a Modified pattern. I think the beauty of these guns is the overall size, balance and weight. One weighs 5-pounds 4-ounces and the other 5-pounds 11-ounces. You'd be hard pressed to find a 20-gauge in that weight range. I've not seen a double 28 in a long time, but within that weight range I'd love to have one to try.

Right on. I remember when I got my smoothie, there were a couple 58 smoothies on the shelf and a 54 smoothie. Always wondered if my 20 gauge was the correct choice. 🤔 I have had a ton of fun with it but my 3 and 4 inch round ball groups at 50 yds always make me wonder. I have added a rear sight but really do not see a big difference in roundball group size. I even fashioned a peep sight that mounted in a threaded hole in the tang top but again, not much difference between no rear sight at all.
3 and 4 inch groups at 50 yards with a smoothbore is pretty darned good.
About half of what most guys get, if truth be known.
Count your blessings!

I agree, 3" to 4" at 50 yards is a good group for a smoothbore. That level of accuracy will easily take deer at 50 yds and beyond. You say you have a rear sight and that's a good move. My 20 ga has a rear sight and I shoot it the same as I do my rifles.

I've always had a thing for the 20 ga from when I was a kid. Second for me would be a 16 ga. With my .600" patched ball load I get consistent 3 shot groups averaging under 3" at 50 yds. I've gotten a few groups under 2" and have killed deer with it. I'm old now with bad eyes and my prb groups don't look much different from my shot loads. I love the 20.

My first smoothbore, my only smoothbore was a 54/28 flint. Loosely built on a Pennsylvania style it is a Sitting Fox kit. I am pretty confident taking rabbits, squirrels and turkey with #6 lead shot. My patched ball performance was a surprise, and would be adequate for deer and hogs out to 50 yards.
To say I wish it were a 20ga sometimes, would be a fair statement.
10410103-679258958845889-6990202988209670884-n.jpg

Well getting back to patching my 20 smoothie back to useable. Guess she is gonna be my smoothbore champion.

I have a couple 12 gauge doubles that are gonna need some attention as well but those will be another post .... someday.

Thanks for all the replys. I always think i get some of the best reply here.

One of our very talented friends here made me a wonderful 24 gauge fowler. I wouldn't change the gauge for the world. Admittedly I dont cast my own balls, so I love being able to buy .58s from Hornady. In terms of shot, every animal I have taken with it (wabbit, doves and His Majesty the squirrel, did not take another step or fly another inch. I probably wont get into flintlock waterfowl or turkey anytime soon so I think it is a perfect size. If you eventually track one down you will like it! Obviously every barrel/manufacturer/caliber can have its own variations, but my particular barrel has been extremely generous. I was lucky enough to have my first roundball wad attempt to be “the one”, and get reliable enough patterns with shot to the point that I eyeball the shot and even subtract one of the paper wads sometimes when supplies become low. I would not do this if the pattern failed and risked wounding game when I do it. It never fails. But of course you can find a barrel like this in any gauge. Hope this helped!

.55-28ga. works for squirrels, turkey,rabbits. my 50 woodsrunner barrel was sent to bobby hoyt to be a .55 smoothy, does nice pattern #6, 58gr. 3f, hard card,28 shot cup piston cut off, 1oz #6, n wet 1/2 fiberwad, .53 ball n denium lubed patch. 3-4 in same powder at 50yds.

Back