• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

20 gauge smoothy at the range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeNV

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Been using 75 grs of fffg and equal to equal plus 1/2 of #5 shot on the trail for critter dinners. Figure I'd see what it would do with R/B. .595 was hard to load with .15 pillow ticking so I went to a .590 r/b. With 75grs fffg it was right on at 15yds, about 3" high at 50yds, and about 10" low at 100yds. It should be right on at 75yds. I found that Point of Impact/Point of Aim at 100yds needed 120 grs of fffg....but left my should sore shooting off a bench. I'll have to make it back to the range after molding some more .590's

Been using 75 grs of fffg and equal to equal plus 1/2 of #5 shot on the trail for critter dinners. Figure I'd see what it would do with R/B. .595 was hard to load with .15 pillow ticking so I went to a .590 r/b. With 75grs fffg it was right on at 15yds, about 3" high at 50yds, and about 10" low at 100yds. It should be right on at 75yds. I found that Point of Impact/Point of Aim at 100yds needed 120 grs of fffg....but left my should sore shooting off a bench. I'll have to make it back to the range after molding some more .590's

Mike, something you might want to try next time you're at the range...it'll eliminate that "bench rest" shoulder problem, get your rifle sighted in closer to actual hunting conditions, and you'll be shocked at how accurate it is.

Sit in a chair and simply rest your off elbow down on your side/chest to support the rifle...I quit using a bench years ago for the following reasons:
1) It's not representative of any of the ways I actually shoot at any other time;
2) The POI is different when I shoot any other way;
3) Recoil is less as your body gives with it, not locked down over it on a bench;
4) Sitting with braced elbow is how I hunt...either sitting in a treestand or on the ground against a tree;
5) I know what I can expect by practing shooting how I hunt;
6) The rifle gets sighted in under actual shooting positions and not on the bench;
:m2c:

I went to a .590 r/b. With 75grs fffg it was right on at 15yds, about 3" high at 50yds, and about 10" low at 100yds. It should be right on at 75yds. I found that Point of Impact/Point of Aim at 100yds needed 120 grs of fffg....

And this from a gun with no rifling, smoothbores never cease to impress me... :applause:

120 grains is getting a bit stout, recoil-wise. 100 might be a good compromise. 75 grains in a .62" bore is definately kind of light for a ball load. I shoot 100 grains of ffg Swiss in my .62" rifled bore, but my final load will be 110 grains when I'm completely done breaking the gun in and sighted in for good. Then from that point on 95% of my shooting will be from off hand and field positions.

Shooting a little low at 100 is not a bad deal, as long as they still go in the kill-zone, or stay on a paper plate, same thing. 10" low is a bit of a drop. You could also shoot a bit higher at 50 yards and still be well within the kill zone. Are you actually keeping your shots on a paper plate/kill zone sized area at 100 yards? If so that's very good.

:applause:

Round Ball is right. However, shooting off the bench is obviously important to/for getting a long gun initially sighted in, and judging it's inherent (sp?) accuracy. (inhairant?)(inharant?)(sheeeeeesh) Also for periodically checking the accuracy of the gun to make sure it's you and NOT the gun, when you find it's not shooting so well.

Rat

Back