• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2011 Deer Hunt.... A good harvest.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Wattsy

69 Cal.
Reaction score
The Oregon Muzzleloader season started in typical fashion... Cold if not a little clear. Hit deer camp the Friday before the opener. After setting up I had a few hours to scout. The bucks were, surprsingly to me, still running the does hard... musta started rutting a tad late as it was then Dec 2nd. Saw two HUGE bucks (140" and 155" respectively-ish) each tending a doe.. my hopes are HIGH!!
Next morning I am in my blind early counting the stars... testing my new wool mummy-bag agenst the 15* morning. It was cold enough the deer didnt start out untill 8:30. within a half an hour im surounded by 20 some does ranging from 100 to 300 yards. I watch a 1 1/5 yr old little three pt wander thru. Am tempted to shoot a cyotte but enjoy watching him pounce on mice. (After he rushes a yearling fawn I regreat not shooting him when I had the chance :cursing: )
At 12 noon a buck walks out and starts sniffing a pod of 12 does out about 300 yards away.. Looking at him I think: "shooter" .. "No maybe next year" .. "Nice eye guards" ... "No next year" .. "If God delivers him to shooting distance...." A half hour latter The deer spook and start running my direction. Instict takes over and I start getting into shooting position. The buck in question jumps the fence, comes to a broadside stop at about 70 yards. BAM! "Was that the right thing to do?" 5 hours into my week vacation its all over.... :hmm: "Did I jump the gun?" Oh well it is what it is now.. Reload and go over to to where he had been standing. Blood aplenty right off... He zigged and zagged.. Lots of blood... on hy hands and knees looking for specks.... Finally there he is lying in the leaves not 100 yards from the hit .. As always it is a humbling moment.
He looks old to me.... Maybe past his prime? After aging his teeth Im guessing past 6 1/2 years old. Probably on the decline. A Good Harvest. Bitter sweet that its all over so fast but feeling good to spare the old fellow another winter. The jerky will be GREAT!

20111203_134534.jpg

20111203_135014.jpg

DSCF0754.jpg

DSCF0756.jpg

DSCF0762.jpg

DSCF0770.jpg

DSCF0775.jpg

harleysboss said:
Great lookin Blktail Buck. Congrats!

Although I live amongst the blacktails over her in Western Oregon.. I traveled to NE Oregon to find this whitetail. :v

Good buck, good shot, good photos, congratulations all the way around!
:thumbsup:

Very, very nice! Love those high racks!!
:wink:
TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

:hatsoff: Attaboy!! well done,,an nice pics! shame its over first day, but gotta be proud of that one.... :thumbsup:

now,,bout the coyote?? goin back after him?

It's over?? :idunno: ya only git to shoot one? How about any Does? Hope ya get to do more hunting and get that Yote!. Thats a good lookin' deer, it's a shooter fer sure down here!. BTW how much did he weight? looks pretty heavy from the pics.

By the way.....Isn't that a MONSTER blacktail?

I don't know any more than what I have read about them. I still want to think that is a huge racked blacktail. :idunno:

Skychief

:grin: Nope not a blacktail.
Sadly we only get one deer a year here in Oregon (I wont even start on the blithering idiots at our ODF&W :barf: :wink: )
I would guess his live weight at about 200 lbs. I have close to 100 lbs of meat hanging bone in. And jerky it is.. Every stitch of him minus a little burger that is too fat for good jerky.
Just finished making him into a "european mount" and hung him in my home office.
And for those who care he green scored at 120 flat.

DSCF0778.jpg

:thumbsup: Congrats.Nice story,pics,and of course great wt deer.Thanks for sharing. :applause: Griz(to bad about the one deer limit)

Back