• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2011 Dove season

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Now that we're in the month of June, all of a sudden Labor Day weekend doesn't seem that far away
:shocked2:

My wife and kids think I'm nuts that I have to "bear through" summer. The other day I said exuberantly, "Only three months 'til September!" :grin:

It may be June, but it's cold and rainy here. Funny though, cause earlier today I was looking to see how much birdshot I had. Want to get some BP clay target shooting in before Sept 1. GW

Same here...have a big wildlife calendar on the side of the fridge with all the major activities for the whole year plotted out...cut up a batch of cleaning patches, sight in new .54cal, refinish barrel so & so, get new hunting license, pattern test .54cal dove load, set up xyz ladder stand...

I got squirrel season before I have to worry about doves. I probably might go out a couple of times for dove this year in the beginning of the season Sept. 1 but will probably be a little preoccupied with early goose season then. But I won't be hunting geese with my muzzleloading shotgun because I don't think I could make ethical shots on geese because I'm a beginner waterfowler. What I'm saying is I'll need a gun with more range.

you could be ready for Geese. I know you have the nontoxic shot issue to deal with. But if you start asking now i am sure someone on here could help you out. I have never shot one with a muzzle loader but it would be awesome.

Should be able to drop geese with your muzzleloader I've been hunting them with my longbow and taking them out of the air for a couple years now most shots under 20 yards while laying in decoy spread.

I also am a new waterfowler and don't know much about decoying them or calling them. That and buying nontoxic shot by the bag costs quite a bit of money and I don't know how much I'd spend just patterning. Like I said, most shots will be me pass shooting waterfowl which requires a gun that can shoot farther. If all goes well this year and I have success I'll maybe do it with the muzzleloader the next season.

A good buddy or more and a good flight of doves makes for one very fine day in the field. Lots of shooting, some spectacular shots, some miserable misses and plenty of good natured ribbing among friends. I can't wait. As a matter of fact my dove gun is on the bench now getting a good going over.Another one of the best kept secrets of muzzleloader shotgunning. :thumbsup:

Our season here in Alabama opens in Sept. I have planted about a 2 acre plot of sunflowers and they are doing well so far. When season opens that little patch will only be shot over with muzzleloaders. Myself and a few buddies. Cant wait!

Wayne/Al

Now THAT sounds like a plan...reminds me of years gone by in SC...had fantastic shoots over cut-over corn fields every year for several years, then we moved...haven't had anything like that in a couple decades.

I need to find a little place around here that actually has a few doves coming in without half the population in the county being there sky-blasting birds 100 yards up
:wink:

We have more dove here in ND than I have ever seen I might plant a sesame cover crop for a field I'm going to start growing strawberries on next spring. I need to check to see if it's compatable. I remember hunting sesame in south Texas when I was a kid and man it would bring in every bird for 100 miles. Will make good feed for my livestock over the winter too. I hope chambers sends my lock and buttplate for my new england fowler kit soon so it'll be ready for bird season.

Just checked the requirements, looks like I'll be planting millet instead.

Sounds to me like you need a 'field hand' out there...oh, say...for the month of September !!

(before ice-up :grin: )

yup if I can get enough birds to come my way you can bet there will be a party hunt. For the early resident waterfowl season there is always a good sized hunt in my blind.

Not sure if its feasible or even what the post is about, but as far as dealing with non toxic issues and trying to get a goose with a muzzleloading shotgun i wouldnt even hesitate to recommend ITX #2! Its awesome stuff :bow: A buddy and i shot our limit of early season geese here in MN last year with our double barrel 10ga shotties! Its safe for older guns, and its heavier than lead with 13g/cm3! We used his guns that he built from a kit years ago, and they were in awesome, almost new shape! Pendersoli's if i remember right! Anyway, we used 70gr ffg T7, .125 over powder card, lubed felt wad, overshot card, 1 5/8oz shot, overshot card! The stuff is a little spendy, we developed a load that patterned good, and then just shot clays all summer with comparable lead loads to save $ :thumbsup:

mnbearbaiter said:
"its safe for older guns"

"...70gr ffg T7, .125 over powder card, lubed felt wad, overshot card, 1 5/8oz shot, overshot card..."

I want to be sure I'm understanding this correctly...no protective shot cup or wrapper was used to protect the bore from ITX...and the ITX caused absolutely no scratching, scoring, or any problems shooting them in a bare bore, correct ?

Absolutely correct :hatsoff: Go to their website and check it out, they make roundballs also that are designed for parts of the country where lead is even outlawed for big game hunting, it gives guys a chance to use their trusty side hammer gun legally and safely! We bought ours from Ballistic Products, PS i do not work for ITX or Ballistic Products :shake:

Back