• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2021 Virginia spring gobbler .62 Cal. smoothbore flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And I was worried about #6 not hitting hard enough. How many yards would you say? Interesting, I haven’t heard of the tungsten super shot.
Probably 27-28 yards. I get 25-30 pellets in the head and neck at 35-38 yards during a pattern test. I wouldn’t shoot the tss without a plastic shot cup.

I’m building a new 20 gauge flintlock with a full choke barrel…I plan on switching to #5 copper plated or bismuth with the new gun.

I Finally got my video edited and uploaded to YouTube. I’m brand new with speaking to a camera as well as editing and publishing videos so bare with my ignorance and fumbling. I hope that you enjoy my hunt as much as I did. Hopefully more to come next month.

I sure hope that I posted the correct YouTube link…😄

WOW!! now I call that hunt a perfect end to a hunt! save me a drum stick! how much did he weight?

Probably 27-28 yards. I get 25-30 pellets in the head and neck at 35-38 yards during a pattern test. I wouldn’t shoot the tss without a plastic shot cup.

I’m building a new 20 gauge flintlock with a full choke barrel…I plan on switching to #5 copper plated or bismuth with the new gun.
Very intriguing. I would like to try Hevi shot to avoid using a shot cup, but can’t find it online. I’m not necessarily opposed to the shot cup, but hate cleaning the plastic streaking on my unmentionable. A brass shot cup would be a cool product.

Well done! I can barely get close to birds for a shot with my smoothie let alone use a camera!
Where about in Va? - I used to hunt Little North Mountain down through buffalo gap, really loved that area.
That was National Forest in Northern VA. I live on Pennsylvania though. Planning on hunting down there again in a few weeks.

Congratulations on a successful hunt! I hunted turkeys in West Virginia (Hardy County) close to the Virginia border in the George Washington National Forest. Beautiful country. It’s been a long time ago since I hunted down there.

You earned it! Take a bow?
I’ve hunted them quite a bit with a long bow over the years, mostly from a blind. I have a longbow hunt on film that I need to edit before I share it. Great morning where I called in several different gobblers but I missed twice at like 17 yards.🤦. One missed opportunity that day while adjusting the camera.

that is sure a LOTTA BIRD! was he a BUTTERBALL? LOL!
Most adult gobblers average 19-22#. My son shot one in Ohio when he was 10 years old that weighed 25.8# weighed at the check station…the lady who checked it in said it was the heaviest bird that she ever checked there in 20 years. I’ll have to dig up a picture

20220312_110722_resized_20220312-110941.jpg
this morning

Hoping to pull off something similar this year. What kind of wad did you use for 1.5 oz of shot?

So the load for my .62 cal. Cylinder bore is this:

70 gr. ffg
1/8” cardboard wad
plastic 20 gauge wad with 2-28 gauge felt wads in the bottom to take up space.
1-1/2 ounce #9 tss
thin cardboard wad
1/2” fiber wad

Back