• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2023 Fall Squirrel Season...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We are now down to 14 days remaining and I blew out my knee yesterday. I have invented more of those colorful metaphor's today than in my entire life. Dang it all anyway.

I'll be out there opening morning (unless its raining) even if I have to drag myself out and just sit against a tree.
Sorry to read about your knee troubles bud. I know the feeling. I pulled the Crockett out of the safe the other day and gave her a cleaning. Soaked ticking in the special sauce, they're drying now. Won't be too long here in PA. Hope you can get enough relief to get out and enjoy some hunting.

September 16th opener here. There won't be anything but full leaf here, so I'll load up the .54 cal with #6 shot and git some bushytails.

27a.jpg

So I just got done watching BP maniac shooter episode on buck and balls. It got me thinking. What if, do the same with a 32 or 36 cal. Instead of buck and ball it would be shot and ball. I'm sure the spread would be crazy. What's everyone's thoughts on trying it? Could be decent for close range early season squirrel when the leaves are on the trees.

So I just got done watching BP maniac shooter episode on buck and balls. It got me thinking. What if, do the same with a 32 or 36 cal. Instead of buck and ball it would be shot and ball. I'm sure the spread would be crazy. What's everyone's thoughts on trying it? Could be decent for close range early season squirrel when the leaves are on the trees.
I suppose it could be done. However, until you engage in squirrel hunting with a .32 patch and ball, you will never understand how awesome, peaceful and satisfying it truly is. I've lived and hunted many different critters, including big game, all over the country with different critter getting tools. Not one of them can come close to hunting squirrels in the mountains with my Crockett squirrel rifle. In fact, stopped squirrel hunting years ago and did not resume until I got my Crockett. It is now, beyond a shadow of doubt, the most rewarding hunting I have ever done. A real test of hunting skills, marksmanship and patience, with a tad of luck thrown into the mix.

Good luck to you whatever you decide on.

Well my place at Conway has several loaded Hickories at the back end of the land. I got myself a Ace in the Hole sight to put on my .40 cal Under-Hammer rifle. Now if i can't see the sights well enough i will install a scope on it. Tree rats will be in big trouble. I don't eat the brains as my Pa did, i just ain't that hungry.

I suppose it could be done. However, until you engage in squirrel hunting with a .32 patch and ball, you will never understand how awesome, peaceful and satisfying it truly is. I've lived and hunted many different critters, including big game, all over the country with different critter getting tools. Not one of them can come close to hunting squirrels in the mountains with my Crockett squirrel rifle. In fact, stopped squirrel hunting years ago and did not resume until I got my Crockett. It is now, beyond a shadow of doubt, the most rewarding hunting I have ever done. A real test of hunting skills, marksmanship and patience, with a tad of luck thrown into the mix.

Good luck to you whatever you decide on.
Agreed! Miss more than I hit, but I laugh till it hurts while reloading. Maybe because squirrels are such small targets I know that if I do miss, I'm not wounding an animal and it's a pressure free day in the woods. Funny thing is, when I do hit them, it's majority head shots.

Agreed! Miss more than I hit, but I laugh till it hurts while reloading. Maybe because squirrels are such small targets I know that if I do miss, I'm not wounding an animal and it's a pressure free day in the woods. Funny thing is, when I do hit them, it's majority head shots.
To be clear, I also fined there's tons of satisfaction when hunting big game. And much more meat to bring home as well. But that's usually just a one time hunt that day. With squirrel hunting we are allowed 6 per day here. That's months and months of hunting with lots of shots and few, if anyone else in the woods. Not to mention the .32 is very economical and fairly quiet.

So all in all, lots of action and smaller targets where one is shooting up into trees, for the most part.

If I had to liken it to anything else non-hunting related I would do so by saying it somewhat reminds me of catching brook trout in the Rockies out of those small mountain streams. Jumping rock to rock, dangling a worm over and behind boulders in the stream, and watching those smaller brookies come out and grab it. Peaceful, smaller, lots of them, but extremely satisfying. As many large fish that I have caught in my life, fishing those mountain streams for brookies is still my favorite.

Last edited:
When I was growing up squirrel was part of a mixed bag. I had an old worn hunting coat from my grandfather who had passes on. In those days there were lots of pheasants on our farm. Dad was ill and didn't hunt much so for the most part hunting was left to me and our German Shepherd mix. We would work a strip of corn field for pheasant then walk along a woods edge and look for squirrel. The game bag usually returned home with a squirrel and a pheasant or two.
I can remember always having the game soaking in cold salt water over night. If I had been lucky enough to have several critters in the refrigerator, Mom would invite extended family for supper. It was a big deal, none of the family had money to buy very fancy food and the wild game was a pleasant change in menu. They have all passed now.
It's funny how as I get older memory of yesterday's lunch is forgotten, but memories of those game dinners from years ago are fresh on my mind.

Last edited:
When I was growing up squirrel was part of a mixed bag. I had an old worn hunting coat from my grandfather who had passes on. In those days there were lots of pheasants on our farm. Dad was ill and didn't hunt much so for the most part hunting was left to me and our German Shepherd mix. We would work a strip of corn field for pheasant then walk along a woods edge and look for squirrel. The game bag usually returned home with a squirrel and a pheasant or two.
I can remember always having the game soaking in cold salt water over night. If I had been lucky enough to have several critters in the refrigerator, Mom would invite extended family for supper. It was a big deal, none of the family had money to buy very fancy food and the wild game was a pleasant change in menu. They have all passed now.
It's funny how as I get older memory of yesterday's lunch is forgotten, but memories of those game dinners from years ago are fresh only mind.
That sounds exactly like my experience growing up. But we didn't have pheasant. For my family it was squirrel, rabbit, and quail. And at about 12 years old I was the game getter in the family.Thanks for sharing. Good story.

I suppose we're showing our age now (I'm 64) But yes, I grew up in Southeastern PA. And always had mixed bag of Pheasant, rabbit, squirrel soaking in salt water in the frig. Mom cooked everything my brother and I brought home which include a duck or goose sometimes. Hey and we didn't have to use nontoxic shot either.

No way, man. The daily limit of six would be killer trying to pack them out of the woods. And could you imagine how loud of a "thud" sound they would make after being shot out of the top of a tree? :)
No problem as long as you tie off the dogs 1st ,hate to see any dogs gettin squashed !/Ed

.32 Crockett Squirrel rifle for me. Sometimes it takes up to 45 minutes + to get a shot, but its worth it. A real test of patience, hunting skills and marksmanship. I absolutely love it.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, add in a little luck too. :)

Now down to just 32 days here!
It's so much fun I've thought about inviting a friend to hunt with me, but it would drive them crazy how much time I'll put into stalking one squirrel.

Latest posts

Back