• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH NO!! šŸ˜³ Absolutely not! The Colony is a rescue community. Elders are on an endless quest to bring the members to a higher state of consciousness. The youths like #15 are particularly troublesome but the efforts never stop.
Cruiser, the Colony isn't a brand of wood chipper is it?...............Asking for a friend.

Tomorrow is opening day for Florida 2024/2025 hunting season. New this year is year round squirrel season on private property.
I'm ready to go. This will definitely be a first for me, hunting squirrels in July. I will be in the woods come sunrise. I've also see them between 3 and 7 PM for the last week and a half. I'll try that time frame also. I'm fixn to hit hay. I'll report back tomorrow one way or the other.

Take Care Stay Safe

Tomorrow is opening day for Florida 2024/2025 hunting season. New this year is year round squirrel season on private property.
I'm ready to go. This will definitely be a first for me, hunting squirrels in July. I will be in the woods come sunrise. I've also see them between 3 and 7 PM for the last week and a half. I'll try that time frame also. I'm fixn to hit hay. I'll report back tomorrow one way or the other.

Take Care Stay Safe
Good luck, Fred.

OH NO!! šŸ˜³ Absolutely not! The Colony is a rescue community. Elders are on an endless quest to bring the members to a higher state of consciousness. The youths like #15 are particularly troublesome but the efforts never stop.
LOOK, out for the illegal ones, there could be a mass movement,like we see going on now.

Thanks for keeping me as a member, altho I don't think I have contributed much, just lurked a bit. But I like to use an old T/C Hawkin 50 cal that was given to me with a rotted bore. I reamed the bore out taking out what was left of the rifling as well as the pitting, making it a smoothbore. A charge of black, some newspaper for wadding, shot, and more newspaper wadding over the shot. Works great on squirrels. My boys and I used to go on "survival" hunts back before they married and moved out. We would take no food, just muzzleloaders, accouterments, and camping gear that would fit into backpacks. Squirrels were always on the menu, but on one outing we saw absolutely nothing for a whole day. Finally we took a few at the end of a long day. Grilled over a campfire with a little salt and pepper. I swear it was the best thing I had ever tasted!

Thanks for keeping me as a member, altho I don't think I have contributed much, just lurked a bit. But I like to use an old T/C Hawkin 50 cal that was given to me with a rotted bore. I reamed the bore out taking out what was left of the rifling as well as the pitting, making it a smoothbore. A charge of black, some newspaper for wadding, shot, and more newspaper wadding over the shot. Works great on squirrels. My boys and I used to go on "survival" hunts back before they married and moved out. We would take no food, just muzzleloaders, accouterments, and camping gear that would fit into backpacks. Squirrels were always on the menu, but on one outing we saw absolutely nothing for a whole day. Finally we took a few at the end of a long day. Grilled over a campfire with a little salt and pepper. I swear it was the best thing I had ever tasted!
Thatā€™s totally awesome. Good on you.

I was considering doing the same thing earlier this year but the weather was terrible. Perhaps next spring if Iā€™m up to it.

Feel free to post all you want. Lurking is also good. No special club with us. Just a bunch of old farts that enjoy squirrel hunting, and for one great regular poster, relocating squirrels to some strange and classified strategic location called ā€œthe colonyā€.

Itā€™s all good stuff here.

Last edited:
Back