• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2024/2025 Squirrel Hunting Thread...........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Between the squirrels and “Back Strap Benny”, most all my apples are already gone. They are not even ripe yet. Bow season opens Labor Day weekend but my guess is something will happen to ole “Back Strap Benny” before then. Now they have started in on my pear trees.
"Back Strap Benny" That great.

I had to spray deer deterrent on everything around the house. I have a seckle pear tree the deer are always checking for drops. I can get pretty close to Donna the doe. IMG_3666.jpeg

That's such a neat video. That squirrel looks bigger than the other ones you posted pics of. Or is that just a tiny live trap?
It's not a huge trap. Luckily, or I'd have to be dealing with trapped raccoons. The coons don't do any damage. At least not that I notice. That squirrel was about average size. A few that are young of the year noticeably smaller with less bushy tails. I'm surprised that they keep coming!!

I had to spray deer deterrent on everything around the house. I have a seckle pear tree the deer are always checking for drops. I can get pretty close to Donna the doe. View attachment 333203
There were deer problems like that where I spent my summers with my grandparents. Not a wealthy community and deer were considered to be in fine condition for eating on the 4th of July. Was often referred to as "government beef"! My first ever deer was a doe that dared to cross the property too close to the house when I was 13. I'm pretty sure I'm protected by the satute of limitations. Besides, I have since graduated from being a provider to being a "sportsman".

Between the squirrels and “Back Strap Benny”, most all my apples are already gone. They are not even ripe yet. Bow season opens Labor Day weekend but my guess is something will happen to ole “Back Strap Benny” before then. Now they have started in on my pear trees.
Backstrap smoked in apple wood🤤

I had to spray deer deterrent on everything around the house. I have a seckle pear tree the deer are always checking for drops. I can get pretty close to Donna the doe. View attachment 333203
Good Nuff for burgers anyway.

Spray deer deterrent.....hum. Would that come in the form of number 7 1/2?

I have one of those "spray applicators". It even came with adjustable spray nozzles. Just need some smaller/lighter "Spray". :)

Last edited:
It's not a huge trap. Luckily, or I'd have to be dealing with trapped raccoons. The coons don't do any damage. At least not that I notice. That squirrel was about average size. A few that are young of the year noticeably smaller with less bushy tails. I'm surprised that they keep coming!!

There were deer problems like that where I spent my summers with my grandparents. Not a wealthy community and deer were considered to be in fine condition for eating on the 4th of July. Was often referred to as "government beef"! My first ever deer was a doe that dared to cross the property too close to the house when I was 13. I'm pretty sure I'm protected by the satute of limitations. Besides, I have since graduated from being a provider to being a "sportsman".
Better youins eat that government beef Cruiser than the bumper of a Dodge leaves it for the buzzards.

....Now they have started in on my pear trees.

Like my old dad used to say "You cain't have nuthin'..." - he would put raised-voice emphasis on the "nuthin" - inferring that some varmint is always in the wings ready to eat, tear down, or defecate on anything of value you try to build or grow.

Like my old dad used to say "You cain't have nuthin'..." - he would put raised-voice emphasis on the "nuthin" - inferring that some varmint is always in the wings ready to eat, tear down, or defecate on anything of value you try to build or grow.
Yeah, and these days often two legged varmints. 🤣

As we all wait for squirrel season (except Fred), I thought I’d share with you guys my methods and techniques.

I’m a sitter. I move around some but mostly sit. I scout for hickory trees and mark them on Onx as a yellow x. Then as season gets close I will check them for which ones are yielding.

Here is a picture of one of my spots.
IMG_0312.png
I don’t always hunt each tree but whenever I’m in the woods and see a hickory, I mark it.

Most of the hickories I find are pignut or mockernut hickories.

One of my favorite places to hunt has shag bark hickories which they prefer. It’s a 50 mile trip and I don’t make the trip as much as I used to but I’ll be out there a few times this season.

As we all wait for squirrel season (except Fred), I thought I’d share with you guys my methods and techniques.

I’m a sitter. I move around some but mostly sit. I scout for hickory trees and mark them on Onx as a yellow x. Then as season gets close I will check them for which ones are yielding.

Here is a picture of one of my spots.View attachment 334033I don’t always hunt each tree but whenever I’m in the woods and see a hickory, I mark it.

Most of the hickories I find are pignut or mockernut hickories.

One of my favorite places to hunt has shag bark hickories which they prefer. It’s a 50 mile trip and I don’t make the trip as much as I used to but I’ll be out there a few times this season.
Heck yeah Jim! September 14th!

Last year I found a different seat I wanted to try. My girls are always asking what I want for Christmas. So after watching some YouTube videos on it and reading comments, I asked for it for Christmas.

It’s the low down seat. I love this seat. It’s compact and I stuff it inside my day pack. It’s not as quick to set up as my Waldrop but it’s still quick and way more comfortable.

Also, I’m using Primos shooting sticks now. They’ve got it all over my home made sticks.
IMG_3725.jpeg
IMG_3726.jpeg
IMG_3727.jpeg

Now for my equipment. I have a Waldrop pacseat I used for several years along with wooden home made shooting sticks ( Ed calls them cheater sticks) 😂.

I like it. It’s quick to set up. I wouldn’t want to sit all day in it but a couple hours is good.View attachment 334055View attachment 334056
We used to have a saying in the military Jim, "if you ain't cheating, you ain't trying". 🤣 Whatever you gotta do to put the Chicken of The Tree on the table buddy!

Latest posts

Back