• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

24-lb flintlock id?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sekiar

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a bench rest 24-lb .45 caliber flintlock that I would like to learn more about. The barrel is 41-inches long and 1.44 between flats.
On the barrel is the name H.D. Binkley. I can find no name or markings on the lock. It has a nice hunting scene of a young man and two dogs. The butt plate is brass with nice engravings on the top side. The lock works giving a bunch of sparks. I've had it for several years and for some reason I believe it might have been built in the UK. The stock looks a lot like English walnut. The gun is in top condition and looks as it had been well cared for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help you with the name of the builder of your rifle but I would like to say that as heavy as your rifle is it sounds like a match rifle for shooting over the log. It is way too heavy for a hunting rifle. Should be super accurate with the proper load............watch yer top knot

I should have taken some photos before posting, however just asap they will follow. :surrender:

You 100% certain it's not loaded? It is pretty common for those old guns to show up with a charge still in it. Probably a bit less likely with a target gun as opposed to a "barn type" gun but I figured I'd ask.

Photos:
airgunbmw460.jpg

airgunbmw457.jpg

Looks like a modern chunk gun. I have an original half stock perc chunker. It is 67 inches long and weighs 31 lbs. 7 oz, more like 31 lbs 9 oz if loaded with a 62 caliber ball and powder. I shot it at 100 yds and had a 1.75 inch group. Pretty good for a .62 caliber dinosaur.

Cool! :thumbsup: It's a bench gun made in the 50's or 60's before good flintlocks were commercially available. The lock on that gun is European and was made in the early 18th century. It's probably worth more than the gun is, probably around $700 to $1200 by it's self. great find.
It's stocked in american black walnut and was probably built not far from where you found it. You might get a phone book and start calling Binkley family members till you find the right family . They can probably tell you some more about the gun.

zimmerstutzen said:
Looks like a modern chunk gun. I have an original half stock perc chunker. It is 67 inches long and weighs 31 lbs. 7 oz, more like 31 lbs 9 oz if loaded with a 62 caliber ball and powder. I shot it at 100 yds and had a 1.75 inch group. Pretty good for a .62 caliber dinosaur.

It does look like a chunk gun, but the sights are not right and there's too much drop in the stock for comfortable over the log shooting. I'd have to agree with Mike. It's a bench gun.

Mike that's the information I'm looking for. Will try and learn more about the builder as your time table will help in that respect. Also thanks to all that have added their input. I had planned on shoot the gun before December, however I'm running out of time and will be house bound for a couple of months beginning the first of December. I will share the shooting experience just as soon as I can.

Back