• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

$240,00 Presentation Grade Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welp, I'd like to sit down 10 top builders and ask them what they think of that price tag. Their thoughts would be interesting to hear. To me that price borders on insane.

I do not see any comments critical of the gun or the workmanship/skill of the maker. There is a lot of wonder on the price. If you take $240,000 & divide by 6000 hours, you get $40/hr which is not high for a highly talented gunsmith. If you divide 6000 hours by 40hr/wk you get 150 weeks or 3 years with 2 weeks off per year. Thats a big investment for anyone. This leaves two very reasonable questions:

1) If we assume that this is the best contemporary flintlock in the world, is there enough difference to justify $200,000 more than a $40,000 gun (which for 99.9% might be considered "perfect")?

2) Is there a market (only takes one buyer but the one with the cash & willingness to spend it on this gun has to exist) for any contemporary gun at that price? The maker is gambling 3 years of work that it does.

My answers (yours may differ):

1) I am in the 99.9% that will never own a $40,000 gun so for me the answer is no.
2) For the builders sake, I hope so, but I would not take a 3yr gamble on it. Now if you wanted to hire me to spend 3 years on a contracted job ...........

Critical comments or not, if the gun is indeed of this caliber( pun intended ) it needs no defense from the maker..???? Value is a relative thing, value to one may not be the same to another. I would think there is a small % of people interested in a firearm in this price range, but fortunately it will only take one to make this builder happy. In any case I doubt anyone here will be the owner ( never know though ), at any rate if there is no tolerance for critcism maybe this genleman is in the wrong profession.

Latest posts

Back