• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2F or 3F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Opinions: l have a Pedersoli frontier 50 cal. plan on hunting deer with. Haven't shot it yet but would like some help on working up a good deer load. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

So the old school rule was to start with powder in grains equal to your caliber. But that was also a time when conservation of powder was part of being a hunter. Such is not the case now. So first, check your state regulations and see if there is a minimum powder load in grains. In Maryland one has to use at least 60 grains of powder for deer..., so when I work up a powder load there's no reason to start with less than 60 grains.

Then you see what is the most accurate load, and use that.

Old rule of thumb was 3f to .40 or .45, 2f from .50 to .66, 1F above that

Ya know I looked at five different sources when I was taught this..., and the cutoff point where they recommended using 2Fg instead of 3Fg was .44, .45, .50, .54. and "under .58". Five different gun makers had five different recommendations...
I just use 3Fg in everything, and I also use it to prime the pan. Simple ar gud 👍
My rifles seem to like 70 grains of 3Fg and a patched round ball

LD

So the old school rule was to start with powder in grains equal to your caliber. But that was also a time when conservation of powder was part of being a hunter. Such is not the case now. So first, check your state regulations and see if there is a minimum powder load in grains. In Maryland one has to use at least 60 grains of powder for deer..., so when I work up a powder load there's no reason to start with less than 60 grains.

Then you see what is the most accurate load, and use that.

Ya know I looked at five different sources when I was taught this..., and the cutoff point where they recommended using 2Fg instead of 3Fg was .44, .45, .50, .54. and "under .58". Five different gun makers had five different recommendations...
I just use 3Fg in everything, and I also use it to prime the pan. Simple ar gud 👍
My rifles seem to like 70 grains of 3Fg and a patched round ball

LD
Yes I shoot mostly 3f in all of mine, but it’s an old rule of thumb, and I’ve shot 2 in a .45 well.

Back