• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd attempt at scrimshaw

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krecords

36 Cal.
Reaction score
OK, a sketch of a bedded buffalo and a new carbide tipped scribe equals?

horn1_03.jpg

this is the first horn I made, but I have finally finished it with scrim and dye.

horn1_04.jpg

horn1_05.jpg

horn1_06.jpg

horn1_01.jpg

horn1_02.jpg

Thanks for all the tips people this one goes with my carved buffalo stock gun. I think I will sell the other one that had the map of Eastern Oregon and the cougar head plug.

What animal has three toes and claws showing??? The U-shape of this one suggests either a bear, raccoon, opossum, or what? But all of them have a u-shaped footprint like humans, with 5 toes and 5 claws showing. Nice scrimshaw, but the track needs a couple of more toes. :thumbsup:

Paul,
Many many years ago as a kid, I decided I needed a symbol I could carve or draw onto the things I made as a signature. I made a rough interpretation of a 3 toed bear. 5 toes were too many to repeat a lot. I have been using this symbol for many years to sign my work, It has morphed a little but the three toes stayed the same. By not being an exact copy of a particular animal I find nobody has copied the idea close enough to cause conflict.
That being said the closest I have seen is a track my daughter took a picture of that we guessed by its location to be an armadillo?

Kirby

mahtosapanumpa said:
Paul,
Many many years ago as a kid, I decided I needed a symbol I could carve or draw onto the things I made as a signature. I made a rough interpretation of a 3 toed bear. 5 toes were too many to repeat a lot. I have been using this symbol for many years to sign my work, It has morphed a little but the three toes stayed the same. By not being an exact copy of a particular animal I find nobody has copied the idea close enough to cause conflict.
That being said the closest I have seen is a track my daughter took a picture of that we guessed by its location to be an armadillo?

Kirby

:( My big brother's girlfriend, the blonde.. :barf: leaves tracks almost like that, jus bigger,,,,,,and much deeper! :shocked2:

Kirby: That's some mighty nice scrim work, and the whole horn looks just great. You've got talented hands.
I like your three-toed bear mark. One of the last griz killed in this part of Oregon was called Old Three Toes as he had left two behind in a trap, and he apparently had quite an attitude as a result.

It might as well be a cartoon character. None of Disney's characters have more than 3 fingers. I like the work- it just didn't look like any footprints of any existing animals I know. The Dinosaurs had three toes. There are some Armadillos that have only 3 toes on their front feet, but 5 toes on the rear feet. There are 3-toed slothes, and Anteaters that appear to have only 3 toes on their front feet, but actually have 4 or 5 toes. Only the center three claws show, and since it walks on the back of its claws to protect them, it would take soft, deep soil or mud to record these other toes in a track impression.All three animals feed on insects, ants, and termites they reach by digging extensively with their powerful claws. The sloth is rarely seen on the ground, while both the armadillo and anteater live exclusively on the ground, and often burrow into it, or more often, widen burrows started by other animals. My short search on the web has not produced pictures of their tracks.

Anyway, I still like your scrimshaw work, and it really doesn't matter how many toes you put in your Signature. :thumbsup:

Rick, Paul,
No offense taken. I like accuracy in the drawing of a track too, if I am actually trying to portray a real animal.
I really enjoy all the comments, even criticism if it is all in good faith. After all, art produces opinions. They are all helpful.

Thanks for all your comments.
Kirby

Kirby,
Nice lookin horn! How did you do the carving up around the spout end? I too am working on my first horn, and I am hold up right now trying to figure the best tool to do that type of carving with. I am talking about the sqigly border on the spout end.
Thanks,
Bryan

Brian,
I believe most people make them with a curved chisel. I do not own one so I used my dremmel with a round ball burr that is about 3/8" diameter or so. I drew the pattern on the horn, dremmeled the squiggly part ad the band for the strap to attach to. I took a rasp and a bastard file to the area in between then I came back and cleaned it up with a small jewelers or hobby file. finally a series of sand paper. Horn Works quite well with a file I really enjoyed the process.

Kirby,
Nice horn no matter how you did it. It's an original piece of art and it looks great. Keep up the nice work.
Dusty :bow: :wink:

Back