• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

2nd trip to the range, 50 and 100 yards

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carolina cowboy

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a chance Friday to go to the range again with my new flintlock, here are the results, from the 50 it was as good as I can shoot it, both were off the bench, no sand bags, just resting the barrel on 2 blocks of wood and resting my elbows on the bench.....I felt the 50 was great for me, I am not the greatest shooter in the world, so was happy with the results....now the 100 yard range was a different story, for one, a 5 inch target(bullseye) at 100 yards is almost invisible for my old eyes, it was only a VERY SMALL DOT in my sights :haha: .......so the results were not at all as I had hoped :surrender: .....I also used same load as I did for the 50 yard target, and held a little high for the first two shots, well after looking through the spotting scope, I realized it was shooting POA, so then I tried to hold on that REAL SMALL DOT wayyyyyy out there for the other 8 shots :rotf: .....all in all I was happy by the results, not great,not even close to being great... but at least they were close to the target :redface: :grin: ....weather was perfect, we had a blast(pun intended) was going to the 200 yard range but ran out of time so will have to keep that for next trip, and I will for sure get some LOT bigger targets for the 200 yard range :rotf:
http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/danialboone/library/50 and 100 yard targets

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats very good shooting! :thumbsup: even the 100yrd target is very good in my book!, It is in the kill zone of any deer. I think I would not touch the load or the sights any at all, you have it all figured out. Now just shoot it an have fun.

I'd be happy with that 100yd target as well. For the rare times I shoot out that far I'll use an 8in black bull.

Thanks Armakiller, I am happy with the load and how the gun shoots, I was not thinking I guess when we went to the 100 yard range just how small 5 inches would look at 100 yards :shocked2: ....but am very happy with the rifle and the load, was trying different loads,different ball and patch combos and even Tried 3F loads, but in the end the FF at 65 gains with the .490 ball and the .015 patch was the best by a hair......so now comes the hard part.....off hand :blah: .....something I really need some practice doing :grin: ......so next trip will be spent doing that.......but I am going to try the 200 yard just for the heck of it......but I am very pleased with my new rifle....and I do intend to shoot it as much as I can......it is soooooo much fun......I am without a doubt hooked on the rock locks :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Don't think the real D.B. could have done better! By the way you took 9 shots after those initial 2...cause I counted eleven holes out there? :thumbsup:

Have you gotten rid of the white stuff up there yet?

you are right, I had to go back and count :haha: ....and the white stuff is almost gone, going to be 60 Sat :thumbsup: and I will be back at the range Sat too, got our first walk through Sunday, can't wait :bow: ...how's things in PA? It spring there yet? :grin:

A standard target bull is designed to look the same (to the shooter) regardless of the distance. Be it the 15' BB gun targets, or 1000 yard, with slight variations for ISSF, NMLRA, or NRA shooting. Where they place the rings determines the scoring. The only difference in bull size has to do with the discipline. A pistol bull is larger than a rifle bull.

It's funny how the bull shrinks at 100 yards. In fact one problem I have is getting the target sized so that I can get a good picture. I find that at 100 yards the 8 inch shoot and see is just about right. I do not shoot over 100 yards with MLR's so I'm no help there. Those targets do look pretty good. Geo. T.

The Targets I was using were some I had left over from the 25 yard pistol range when I had been shooting my M&P's(I will check the number on it but think it was for rapid fire pistol )....to be honest I really did not even think about the size of the bull when we moved from the 50 to the 100 yard range until I got back to the firing line from hanging my target and looked back down range at the target :haha: ...it was too late then....so gave it a shot, seems I remember( I think) that the 200 yard targets are close to 12 inches for the bull(black part of the target), if so still going to be small, but a little bigger than the one I used this past weekend(it was 5.18 or something like that) at the 100 yard range, but hopefully I will be able to see it :grin: ...shooting from 200 is more for the fun and personal curiosity than for scoring, but for my club I have to score a 70 on a MR52 target to qualifiy for position(as in the bench,prone, standing ect)on the 200 yard range I am qualified for bench and prone with a 308 with a nice BIG scope :haha: ....but will be trying to do so with the Flintlock if I can, but more for the fun of shooting, working on a load that will reach out there, and seeing if I can even hit the paper at 200 yards, should be fun no matter what happens :thumbsup:

Do your calculations on bullet drop for the caliber before you start trying to walk them in there like long range artillery.

With Wolf MT SV ammo in a .22, the drop is 53" from a 50 yard zero.

I have done a couple of searchs for bullet drop, would like to try to get my info together before going to the range, would you have a link that could help? I know my bullet weight, powder charge , how it shoots for the 50 and 100 yard range, but is there or do you know of a link that will or could give me some info on bullet drop for a given weight bullet and powder charge? and help is greatly appreciated.... I am looking forward to trying a 200 yard shot.....try to live up to my handle :blah:

DB, You need to know your muzzle velocity. My guess is about 1300 fps with 65 grs. of 2F and with a zero @ 50 yds. you would be about 62" low at 200. Once you know your velocity and the distance between your front and rear sights, you can figure how high to hold your front sight above the rear for any range. Deadeye

danial boone said:
you are right, I had to go back and count :haha: ....and the white stuff is almost gone, going to be 60 Sat :thumbsup: and I will be back at the range Sat too, got our first walk through Sunday, can't wait :bow: ...how's things in PA? It spring there yet? :grin:

The white stuff is gone,but still cold....Punxatauny Phil said we was gonna have a early Spring, that dang hog is hardly ever right...may have to do some hog hunt'n this here summer up that-a-way! Also turned 60 back in February...how come we weren't told about the pains and ache's associated with older age! :( :rotf:

Hey Kodiak

I turn 60 next month myself, but the aches have already started :haha: .......and that dang ground pig really missed his prediction this year for sure :nono: ....but I keep hearing spring is right around the corner :applause:.....but happy belated birthday to you :thumbsup: ...and at least with all the aches and pains we know we on the right side of the sod still :hatsoff:

If you don't know your MV then you can make a pretty good guess through the Goex loading chart, and your BC will be right around .068 for a 58 cal'

There are lots of ballistic calculators on the web.

when you rest your rifle, hold the forstock like you were shooting offhand....I believe the 50 group will shrink. Long barrel flex/vibration will be dampened by same hold......maybe not~ but I see a difference when I bench shoot and how a 44" barrel flexes at the shot....
:hmm:

Latest posts

Back