• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

$30 For Remington #10s The New Normal?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are many of us who've been in the Muzzleloading sport a while. Dang, I just realized I've been burning black and popping caps for 45 years.
I recall when caps were .98 cents a Tin, powder was $5/lb. But I made $3.35/hr.
I've always bought a few tins when I find them under $10/tin, usually way under. Garage sales, flea markets, gun shows at closing time, all good places to look.

Different locales suffer from different shortages. My buddy in Fairbanks eats smoked salmon daily, i don't, but I have honey from my hives. Honey is kinda scare up there. We're gonna trade some this month. My friend the plumber trades me lead plumbing for honey, works great for us both.
Keep your eyes and ears open, look in unusual places, you'll be amazed what turns up.

Grafs has pistol caps for about $.15 a cap, with shipping and hazmat included, if you buy a brick of 2500.

This is about the going commercial rate. Musket caps are about $.18 each.

The problem is availability.

RWS Dynamite Nobel has stopped shipping to the USA. The division of MAXAM that was making caps for Sheutzen either went out of business or was purchased by German Rhinemetal company to make more ammo for the wars in progress or brewing.

CCI is the only maker left in the USA and their musket caps are weak.

Nice thing about ordering from Bass Pro / Cabela's is if you order in-store pickup there is no shipping and no hazmat.

Only in the lower 48. We just do not have the breadth of BP shooting up here for caps to show up in other places. I can just buy the over priced caps or spend a lot of time looking in venues that don't have them anyway.

I just found CCI #11 caps at Walmart a couple weeks ago for $5.62 per tin of 100 caps. I bought five tins out of the nine they had. I thought about buying them all, but didn't want to be too greedy.
I never buy all the tins either as like you I leave some for others who are in the same predicament as myself

My buddy in Fairbanks eats smoked salmon daily, i don't, but I have honey from my hives. Honey is kinda scare up there. We're gonna trade some this month. My friend the plumber trades me lead plumbing for honey, works great for us both.
Keep your eyes and ears open, look in unusual places, you'll be amazed what turns up.
I often barter for my honey too. How many hives do you have? Currently, I'm down to just 12 hives. Last year I had 20, but reduced this year & moved mine to a new location, in a different state, I'll probably build back up again when I'm more settled in.

I often wonder if these a$$hats that are scalping for $30.00 a hundred are paying the required hazmat fees when shipping? My guess is...no. Those are some serious penalties if not.

Back