• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 cal. FFF or FF

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Baker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
New to small calibers. Looking for advice on round ball loads for .32 cal. Is fff powder the best to use for small caliber?

For general skwerl hunting & plinking I shoot 12gn FFF under a .310 ball with .010 patch.

For longer range targets (50yds+) or rabbits my CVA Squirrel likes 32gn FFF

I get the same accuracy from both loads.

I know folks who like 2f in 32 cal for high velocity loads, but I've never made it work for me. But I'm using it for head shots on snowshoe hare and prefer really low velocity loads. I'm currently using 20 grains of 3f, and with time to do a little load development, I think 15 grains will likely suit my needs even better. With 20 grains, if your shot wanders down into the neck it just about takes the head off while ruining the shoulders. Lots more geewhiz than you think in that little ball, even at moderate velocities.

I use 30 gr. of 3F Goex, .311 ball in mine. I consider that a hot load in the little .32.

I use FFF Swiss only! 15-20 grains for general shooting/small game and 25-35 grains for hunting medium/large game. (I have taken two deer with my .32 in Michigan...one head shot the other lung shot, both at ranges of less than 35 yards.) In my opinion the .32 is way under rated by many people who have never really worked with one. Enjoy your gun and welcome to the forum! :hatsoff:

i have a little .36 underhammer buggy rifle, it only has a 20 ? 21 inch barrel wonder what kind of velocitys i'll get with 30 grain fffg ?

buckweet said:
i have a little .36 underhammer buggy rifle, it only has a 20 ? 21 inch barrel wonder what kind of velocitys i'll get with 30 grain fffg ?

Absolutely, but I only load 20 gr. FFFg in my .36. Of course I use Swiss powder.

I only use 3f in my .32, not a believer in 2f for the smaller calibers but would try it in a pinch.

have a little .36 underhammer buggy rifle, it only has a 20 ? 21 inch barrel wonder what kind of velocitys i'll get with 30 grain fffg ?

I have a 21" .36 and have chronoed that load with goex fff. It ran about 1575 fps in my gun. Your mileage (miles per hour? :) ) may vary.

wow. that little pill is really moving out there.

im in love with this buggy rifle, so dang light and eazy to pack around.

thanks for the info.

weet

That load in my 32" .32 barrel is around the 1700 mark. I'd guess somewhere around 1600+ in that short of a barrel.

I use 40 grains of FFg with a .310 rb and a 10 patch for smallish hogs and deer. 25 grains for squirrel and rabbits, turkey also.

Before my .32 flinter was stolen, only used FF for the main charge. Been too long to correctly recall the load.

had the .40 built to replace it.

TC

Back