• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderchild

36 Cal.
Reaction score
32 cal

I was wondering what is a good 32 cal cap lock to get that would be a good shooter. I was looking at some Pennsylvania rifles but most were very expensive kits (500+ dollars not including all the ancillary stuff needed to make it). Most pawn shops and gun shops in my area don’t normally carry traditional muzzle loading rifles.

So what is a good name brand and model for me to hunt the internet for. I want something I can get parts for if it breaks. Sources would be great.

TC

I just ordered a Traditions Crockett. Should have it in a couple of days.

There are a number of threads on this site about the Crockett do a search and you may find them along with some pictures posted by some.

The Traditions Crockett is a good gun.If you have a T/C hawken you can do what I did and order a drop in barrel in .32 cal for it.

Traditions Crockett .32 of course! Mine is a tack driver with patched ball and it will also shoot a .32 conical pistol bullet producing 2" groups at 100 yds. Very cheap to shoot, nice handeling properties and sleek styleing.....I have shot mine for the last 8 years and no problems yet....
:thumbsup:

I've had lock problems with mine, but I'm willing to continue dinking with those and even replace the lock if needed. Why go to the trouble? Because it's such an ideal little rifle for my needs. Really accurate for small game hunting and a sheer delight to carry.

I've never been that impressed with the blued metal and lacquered stock, but that's a taste thing. I just devoted myself to a refinish, and for my tastes it's now about as perty as perty can be. Pics later today in the Gun Building threads if I get time.

I have a T/C Renegade Caplock and bought a .32 drop in barrel from GM for it= awsome :thumbsup: The only thing is, GM has cut way back on their drop in barrel lineup and I think they may have nixed that one :(

Jack

Keep your eyes open for used T/C Cherokees or DGW Mountain Rifles in .32 as well. Both are good shooters. The Mountain Rifles are patterned after southern mountain guns complete with lube hole. 25 grains of FFFg seems to be their best load. The Cherokees have a fast 1-30" twist which will stabilize patched balls with as little as 10 grains of FFFg which gives about .22 LR results. Cabelas Blue Ridge is another gun that's available in .32 along with those previously mentioned. Keep your eyes open and check the gun auction sites and the for-sale sites on muzzleloading boards. Good luck.

The Dixie Cubs and the Pedersoli Scout are available through DGW in .32. Six or seven years ago, they were quite reasonable. Now, they're $500 and up. Probably due to the falling U.S. dollar.

The .32 Pedersoli Scout is 'On Sale' right now for $450 at DGW; so better 'jump on it'. :shake:

The lack of smallbore choices may push me into trying to build a gun. I've been seriously looking at TOTW's kits for the smallbore Vincent and Tennessee Mountain rifles. They'd run $500+ as well, but you'd end up with what you wanted and learn something in the process.
Bob

"I've been seriously looking at TOTW's kits for the smallbore Vincent and Tennessee Mountain rifles. They'd run $500+ as well, but you'd end up with what you wanted and learn something in the process."

That's the way my mind has been running for my next small caliber. And there will be a next after your first. And a next after your second. Coming up on #3 now, a build just seems in order.

When you think about how short big game seasons and bag limits are compared to those for small game, it's a wonder there aren't a whole lot more folks in the field and options on dealer shelves.

Looked at another way, maybe it's a good thing. Those of us who have found the small game religion don't have to share the field with so many folks!

I'm in the same boat...the little .32 Crockett just opened up the doors for me. I figure I get more shots in one afternoon of squirrel hunting than I do in a season of deer hunting. I am planning my first custom flinter build right now and it will be a .32 for the simple fact of how much time I'll be able to spend in the field with it

P.S. BrownBear....I'm chewing off all my fingernails waiting to see the pics of the one you redid.... :grin:

I just posted them under (Retro Crockett) in the gun builders section. If you're contemplating a scratch build, refinishing the Crockett might be a good practice session, meanwhile greatly improving it's looks I think!

One thing I didn't mention in the post- the original anodized aluminum rod looks absolutely pink against my new finish. It will be replaced ASAP with hickory.

Back