• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 caliber ballistics?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a question on the .32 caliber. What would the ballistics with both round ball and conical be out of that caliber? I did some net searches and came up with very little. Thanks

With a rd ball depending on the powder charge you should be getting .22 LR-.22 magnum ballistics. With the conical i haven't clue. I know that little 40 gr rd ball has more killing power than you would think. I killed a coyote with 1 shot from my Crockett .32 at over 150 yds which was paced off by two of us to see.

The Lyman BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK says a .32 rifle with a 26 inch barrel and a 1:66 twist had the following velocity and energy with a .310 roundball and loaded with Goex 3Fg powder:

30 grains = 1940 fps, 376 ft/lb muzzle energy
40 grains = 2072 fps, 429 ft/lb " "
50 grains = 2203 fps, 485 ft/lb " "
60 grains = 2238 fps, 501 ft/lb " "
70 grains = 2273 fps, 516 ft/lb " "

It should be noted that the chamber pressures with the 60 grain load = 13,000 PSI and the 70 grain load = 15,500 PSI.
Also, if your using Pyrodex P, those chamber pressures are 22,600 and 25,600 PSI respectively.
Both of these in my opinion are WAY too high for some of the guns that are out there.

The book does not list any loads tested with elongated bullets probably due to the high chamber pressures generated with the 45 grain roundballs.

Understand that these are Muzzle velocities. Those little , 45 grain balls slow down very fast once they leave the barrel. 2000 fps is a true GEE WHIZ load, until you see some downrange numbers for it. And, regardless how fast you can start it out the barrel, that small ball does not have the weight to allow it to penetrate much flesh. That is why it makes a superb squirrel rifle caliber, and can be used to take varmints up to the size of coyotes, within reasonable distances.

you can cast 103 grain maxi balls, I bought 200 from blue grouse I would like to know their ballistics with 50 grains of 3f, the max charge from the green mountain barrel I have.

Well then i guess around 150 yds is reasonable for them cuz the one i shot never moved from where he was standing, just dropped.Course, i shot him in the ear so that is probably why he dropped so fast. :grin:

Rebel said:
Well then i guess around 150 yds is reasonable for them cuz the one i shot never moved from where he was standing, just dropped.Course, i shot him in the ear so that is probably why he dropped so fast. :grin:

I killed a fox at about that distance with a 36 about 40 years ago (boy "back when" numbers keep getting bigger all the time), but it was by breaking both front legs just under the body. Should have held a little higher. Did keep him from running off.
He was mangy so he was worthless. Good fox were worth 10-12 bucks not bad for late 60s. Powder was a lot cheaper then so 10 bucks would buy a lot of ammo for a 36.

Dan

bigbore442001 said:
I have a question on the .32 caliber. What would the ballistics with both round ball and conical be out of that caliber? I did some net searches and came up with very little. Thanks

Its a small game caliber, putting in a conical is not going to change that much. Requires a fairly fast twist, probably 25-30 to shoot any significant conical, thats my guess anyway.
Worrying about the paper ballistics of MLs is generally pretty useless. I did a chronograph check on my 54 maybe twice in the 20 or so years I have owned it. I chronographed my 66 to get a velocity to see where to sight it in (1" high at 100) for best point blank range. Since I have now changed the barrel I may do it again.
Anyone curious should simply buy a low priced chronograph.
Also powder charges much over 35-40 will not produce much velocity for the extra powder used at least with a RB.
Heavy charges in a 32 with a conical will jump the pressure. if you insist on shooting these I would use FFG.
In reality these bullets are a pretty poor idea. All the hype to the contrary not withstanding. They will be marginally stable if it has a 48 twist.
The heavier ones are know to move away from the powder if the gun is carried muzzle down.
Dan

I bought a nice little .32 CVA squirrel rifle here on the forum from Walks Alone for my daughters Christmas. I fancyed it up a bit for her and yesterday i took it to the range to sight in so it would be good to go for her.
I shot round balls and Maxi Balls. I dont have any numbers for you but using 10 grains of 3F Goex and sighted in at 50 yards the round ball was on target, dead on. The Maxi Ball was 1 inch low.

Sorry< I can't help you. I don't have any reloading manual with data for the .32 conicals. If you use a chronograph to determine your MV, you can find programs on the net to determine ME and trajectory, and down range velocities and energy figures.

I shoot a 115 grain RN bullet in my .32-20, with a smokeless load equivalent to the old BP load of 20 grains of FFFg powder, and its no world beater. Its very accurate at 50 yards, but I never intended to shoot it out at 100 yards, or 150 yards. I am sure it gets there. I just never intend to take those shots, unless, perhaps, its at a coyote that needs killing. I would never use that cartridge on a deer beyond 50 yards, and then inside 50 yds. only if I could be sure of a head shot.

For Use With .32 Caliber Cherokee
& Seneca Rifles
Bullets Lubricated with Bore Butter
Use a #11 Percussion Cap
.32 Caliber Rifle
Black Powder &
Maxi-Ball Loads
.32 Caliber
Lead Bullet
Weight (Grains)
Black Powder
Charge (Grains)
Muzzle Velocity
(Feet Per Second)
Muzzle Energy
(Foot Pounds)
103 Grain
Lead Bullet
30 grs. FFFG 1418 F.P.S. 460 Ft. Lbs.
40 grs. FFFG 1628 F.P.S. 606 Ft. Lbs.
50 grs. FFFG 1749 F.P.S. 700 Ft. Lbs.
Maybe this will help a little.

Rebel said:
With a rd ball depending on the powder charge you should be getting .22 LR-.22 magnum ballistics. With the conical i haven't clue. I know that little 40 gr rd ball has more killing power than you would think. I killed a coyote with 1 shot from my Crockett .32 at over 150 yds which was paced off by two of us to see.

I just ran my roundball ballistics calculator for a .31 ball starting at 2000fps. That little ball was only carrying just under 50ft/lbs when it hit that coyote at 150 yds and was only going about 700 fps. Obviously it was enough to kill with a head shot. The US Army says a projectile must have at least 50 ft/lbs of energy to cause a casualty...but that's on people.
Do you thinik you would take that shot again?

At a coyote, yes, i hate coyotes. I wouldn't take that shot on other game though. There was a lot of luck involved in that shot and i'll be the first to admit it. I won't shoot at a deer much past 50-60 yds, but coyotes are fair game at any range.

Back