• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 Caliber CVA Squirrel Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeC

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with there history. Wanted to know when they were made. I just purchased a left hand version but did not receive it yet. From the detail pictures they look to be well made and what info I did find on the Internet they were well made, accurate and reliable little rifles.

I have one. Nice little rifle. Kinda wish they were in .36 instead if .32 though. Not sure of the exact start and stop dates for their manufacture, but I remember them in the old CVA catalogs from the 1980`s. They came factory made or as kits. You could also get them in two barrel sets, with .32 and .45 barrels.

Appreciate the info. Couldn't find any direct date info on the web. There were some references to the early 80's. Would you mind measuring yours? I want to pickup a case for it before it arrives and need the OAL.

hello first post here
i believe that they did make this in 36 cal as i have one setting in the shop that caliber
least it says cva 36 squirrel on the barrel and was made by cva
don't know how it shoots yet have not had it out since i acquired it
mule/t-buck

I learn something new here everyday. I`ve never seen or heard of one in .36 before. Wish mine was. Nothing wrong with .32 it`s just that it`s small enough to be a pain to work with loading and cleaning. For me anyway.

MikeC. They are small rifles. Mine measures only 40 inches from buttplate to muzzle.

I've got a pair of older cap-lock CVA Hawken rifles... both in .50 caliber with double-set triggers. The standard Hawken is in very good condition while the Hawken Carbine is in excellent condition and very accurate.

The first CVA is a standard Hawken (28-inch barrel, 1:48 twist, cap-lock, 7¼ lbs) I use for target shooting at my Black Powder Club's monthly shoots. The other is called a "Hawken Carbine" (24-inch barrel and 6½ lbs) which I use for deer hunting with a patched, round ball and 70 grains of FFFg Swiss Black Powder. It is a great little wood's rifle with an overall length of just 39½ inches.

Both rifles shoot accurately and seem to be nice, relatively inexpensive rifles although their lock springs tend to need a bit of filing to lighten up their fairly heavy tension. :)

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Back in the 80's I bought one as a kit.
Shot it with a load 0f 20 Gr. of 3fff Goex powder.
Lubed pillow ticking for patch. Sighted in at 25 yads. 3 shot groups that you could cover with your thumb.
Squirrel hunted with it and made all head shots except one. Kept that rifle for a few years, then sold it. Wish I still had it. :)

Vearl said:
Wish I still had it. :)
Isn't that always the case. I went all flintlock a few years back, last caplock to go was my .36 Seneca. Wish I still had it... :shake: I'm looking to keep this little squirrel rifle when it comes in. Sometimes it's nice to have a very light, very compact rifle when walking the squirrel woods. Live and learn as the saying goes.

Your right there Mike C.
Wish I still had it.
Got a TC Seneca 32 Cal. Shoots just as good, but a little heavier than the CVA. Liked the sights on the CVA better too. :thumbsup:

Man, ya'll sure do have to some patience with those .32 cals. I molded my brother some .36 cals. awhile back and those are some pretty small round balls. Can't imagine how ya'll shoot a .32 cal. :bow: .

I had a 36 cal. that I use a lot. One of my favorite guns I'm sorry I ever sold it.

Really we don't shoot those lil' bitty RB. We load up a blank load and fire it off. Then we grab a handful of those balls and throw 'em at the squirrel. One's bound to hit him. :rotf:

I sold one a while back to buy a Traditions Crockett, also in .32

Ridiculously accurate little smoker. If it wasn't for the fact that it simply didn't fit me well (Nowhere near enough drop in the stock) I'd have kept it in a heartbeat.

My favorite load was (& still is) 12gn of FFFG & a .310 ball over a .018 patch.

People often complain about having to swab between shots, but with this thicker patch, it seems I can get 10 or 15 shots between wipes.

I have the same problem with mine. It really doesn`t fit me very well. The stock is too straight and the rifle is overall shorter than I like. It`s a tackdriver though. I was also toying with the idea awhile back of replacing it with a Crockett due to it`s longer length. That plan never materialized though.

Definately worth the trade, in my opinion. The Crockett is just as accurate & with it's extra drop & longer butt, it fit's like a glove. The extra weight of the longer barrel makes holing on target a lot easier & it feels less like a 'toy' gun.

My only complaint with the Crockett was the original rear sight. However, I replaced it with a primitive fixed rear from Track & now she's exactly as I'd like.

My wife shoots a CVA Squirrel rifle and she uses .32 maxis in it.
We have an old TC .32 Maxi ball mold so its no problem getting .32 maxis. Those molds are hard to find and expensive if you can find one.
Those cute little .32 maxis are tack drivers.

These small bores are a lot of fun. A few mounts a go i traded a AK47 for a new unfired TC Seneca 36cal from the 80s it shoots #4 buckshot well.
Mike

Latest posts

Back