• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 Crockett cleaning headaches

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure how to do that but any info would be much appreciated. Even when the stars align and I'm able to get through a cleaning cycle without any disasters the resistance is still very high. Maybe that would reduce friction overall?
It will seem that way if you're using too thick or too large of cleaning patches. Are you using the factory ramrod?

Here is another opinion that is worth what your paying for it.

When you start to pull the patch and jag out it is not the bunching up on the grooved part of the jag that is the problem but the bunching up on the shoulder above the grooved part.

Try using a jag with no shoulder and a very slender cleaning rod, AKA a modern Dewey or Pro-shot rod. and see if that solves your problem.

Also, in case it wasn't mentioned, once it is stuck, squirt some thin lubricant down and let it soak into the patch before trying to pull it again, Kroil or similar.

I’ve discovered that small caliber rifles tend to need a wet patch every so many shots in the field. In my 36; I chase a wet patch down every three shots then a dry patch. If you’re used to shooting large bore smoothies, it can seem like a pain. I’m sure someone out there’s going to say that they can shoot a hundred times and still have no problems, but this is what works for me and might help you. It makes the fowling much looser when it comes time to really clean at the end of the day.

Back