• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

32 is not under powered

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrevorAaron

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a post asking if. A 32 was too little or not and I have come to relize thAt it's the perfect size. I had always used the 50 cal new englander before I had bought this 32 traditions crockett. As you assume I was used to the ground hog exploding open no matter where you hit it. As I came to relize that you can't do this with the 32. I killed 3 ground hogs in a row all head shots from 20 to 35 yards. Having this smaller bore had taught me that you do not need bigger bullet you simply need to aim for perfect kill shot points. :thumbsup:

I agree that the goal of a perfect shot beats overwhelming bullet energy. Certainly you should use enough bullet but not so much that it becomes a crutch to use poor shooting..........watch yer top knot...............

:thumbsup: . A well-placed shot will do the job of a bad shot out of a Howitzer.....

I certainly agree with that! Many are of the idea that a large cal. can make up for inaccurate shooting. I am committed to good shooting.

Well said and absolutely right. It's all about shot placement - knowing your weapon and accepting the challenges it offers.

:hatsoff:
Spot

I agree with all the responses. Also I'll include one other, COMMON SENSE. Match the rifle (caliber) to the game that you expect to shoot. Don't go hunting elephants with a fly swatter. I have been hunting squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs and such with a .32cal for years and have never felt under gunned. Get in as close as you can and let the gun do it's job and have a good time. Vern

A .32 is not a .22LR. It's not even a .22 win mag, though that's closer. The .32 is more like a .22 Win mag on steroids. The killing power of a .32 easily eclipses both. I have a Crockett and like 30 grains Goex 3f as an accuracy load and sg load. I chronographed this load once and it approached 1800fps. You have good medicine for hogs and more.

I've used .32s on everything from squirrel, rabbit, turkey, deer, and smallish hogs with out a problem. Pick your shots carefully and keep the distance realistic. :thumbsup:

Dix you shoot the deer in the head or in lungs?? I have wanted to try it out deer hunting and just wondering where you aimed??

Yep, head shots, one must be very careful and selective on those shots. If it aint perfect, dont take the shot.

I've successfully lung shot several deer each at closer ranges with the 25-20 and 32-20. Results were excellent. Carefully placed shots, for sure, but I wouldn't hesitate to do a lung pop on deer with a 32 inside 50 yards. Of course, I'd want to push it a fair bit faster than my current 15 grain load. But start that little ball at 1800 or so, comparable to my 25-20 and 32-20 loads, and it's dead deer time.

Years ago I put a .32 maxie clear through an already dead (real dead) Holstein cow. Cow prob weighed 12-1400 lbs. Went tthrough the chest don't know if it hit any ribs or not (real :barf: dead) Prob 40 yds and 35-40 grains 3f. Been awhile. I know its not a prb but still info none the less. And no I don't think it would do it all the time. :grin: Larry Wv

Why did you shoot an already dead cow? Isn't that almost like beating a dead horse? :rotf:

Back