• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.32 or .36 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron LaClair

In Rembrance
Reaction score
A friend of mine told me he wants to get a .32 flinter for hunting rabbits and squirrels. I've had a .32 for years and love it for squirrel hunting. Yesterday I found a .36 for sale. Do any of you use a .36 and if so, what's the difference between a .32 and a .36 for small game?

I have a .32, but always wanted to build a .36 for myself. To be honest I don't believe there is much difference, just a bit more lead, patch, and possible powder. I think why I like the idea of the .36 is because you can still get buckshot to work in that caliber.

There's not a heck of alot of difference. the .36 will do better on larger varmints, but the .32 ain't no slouch. I sold my .36 years ago and just use a .32 for small game these days. The .32 takes less powder to achieve fine hunting trajectories, but the differences are small.

The slightly bigger bore might have less of a problem with fowling. I am keeping my eye open for a .36 for that reason.

I have a .32 flint and a short Percussion .36 buggy rifle.
I like them both. I use them the same way for the same
thing.

Tinker2

i have a .32cal tenn, rifle i have not really noticed that it foules that bad but i swab between shots , and it is deadly on tree varmints :cursing: and other small game .also at reasoniable ranges does quite well on targets :thumbsup:

I tell you what after I build myself that Bess thats up in the rafters, and that .50, well I can't leave out the new fowler barrel or the double... :rotf: It may be a while untill I can truly answer the other half of that question. :haha: you can never have too many :winking:

Ron,

I think Roger should get one of each. :rotf:

Roy, I think you forgot to mention a certain .54 on that list. :)

No, I was just mentioning guns for me :blah: :blah: :blah: :blah: You don't even want to hear the "other" list. :haha:

Forgot to mention a wee bit lighter barrel. :thumbsup:

:hmm: I think a nice .36 cal Carolina style barn gun would be the ticket :grin:

I'm Ron's friend who is looking for a rabbit rifle...thanks for the advice guys. Ron is my official "gun searcher"!! Thank Ron, we will have to go look at it next week.

Roger

I have a 32 Crocket, I have killed squirrels, Crow, Big Coons, Skunks. BUT I wish I had a 36 cal just so I could have another gun. :winking:

Tom Cheek

NWTF Longhunter said:
A friend of mine told me he wants to get a .32 flinter for hunting rabbits and squirrels. I've had a .32 for years and love it for squirrel hunting. Yesterday I found a .36 for sale. Do any of you use a .36 and if so, what's the difference between a .32 and a .36 for small game?

I own both, and I like them both.......buy the 36, till a 32 comes around...........then sell the one he likes less.................he will probably keep them both.

I have a Numrich underhammer buggy rifle in .36 and it has three groundhogs and a 'yote to it's credit. The .32s I've looked at all have double set triggers, and I seem to be allergic to those. :shake:

NWTF Longhunter said:

There's not a lot of difference other than personal preference. I'd assume that the .36 is probably a bit less picky about loads than the .32. I've always liked the .32 just because. No logic, no reason, just because. That's just one of many cool things about muzzleloaders. :)

I have a .36 cal. flintI use for squirrel/cottontails and turkey.I have heard the .36 has a bit more poke than the .32.Best regards,J.A.

I have two 32's and two 36's. Use a 32 for rabbits, squirrels and smaller varmints. The 36's for predators up to coyote and bobcat. Personally I prefer the 36's as they will do anything a 32 will and a little bit more.

Yup, one's as good as the other, for all practical purposes. I prefer the 36 for all the reasons stated but mostly I just like it better. This is one caliber choice where personal preference really takes precedence. They're both right!

Vic

I use a 36. It isn't fussy except about patches. A different patch will change the POI. I shoot Hornady .350 buckshot that I get five pounds at a time for 10$.

Back