• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

35/64 Drill bit Help!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strask

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to make a ball board for a .54. I am having a heck of a time finding a 35/64th drill bit any ideas where I can get one??

I know I can get the next size down and file the hole etc but would be nice to find the right size.

Thanks

I just wrap sand paper around a dowel and sand out the holes to proper size. One problem about the 54.

Ya know anyone that works in a machine shop? A machinist should have one on hand...

you can buy a spade bit and grind/file it down to what you want and then drill your wood, BUT have a backer so you dont get major blow outs.
personally, I use forstner bits and brad point bits for my ball blocks, and sand/ rat tail file to get the fit I desire.

Check with the on-line tool suppliers, like Brownells, or Woodcraft, or even Harbor Freight. You should be able to buy a brad point bit in that size without it costing you an arm and a leg.

I used a 9/16 bit which is 36/64 (do the math). 1/64 didn't oversize doesn't seem to make any difference, the board will hold a .530 ball with .018 patch just fine.
Scott

I made my bit by filing off a cheap 9/16 spade bit. It only took about two passes with the file on each side to make a perfect fit for a 530 ball.

Joel Lehman, Austin TX

i used to use a tapered reamer to get about any hole size i wanted, come in from both sides leaving a snug center.. tey arnt cheap tho.. if you have them about the shop the right sized fine threading tap could work, marking it at the correct depth, but the threaded hole may wear out too fast? .. .. the cheapest route other than sandpaper would be to get a ball board from track of the wolf with your next order to save shipping.... they sure dont cost much.. dave..

Thanks Guys,

I knew somebody would find one somewhere. Slamfire what hardware store?? I have checked everywhere around Indianapolis and cannot find one? I really do enjoy this site. It always amazes me how quick you all find stuff when someone asks.

Thanks again.

I think I would try one of those slow tappered
reamers...Less to sand out to bring to size.

A good pawn shop should have a large selection of drill bits. As suggested alwayse use a backer to prevent splintering on the back side.

Back