• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 cal conicals for a squirrel rifle, has any one shot eras gone colt factory conicals from there squirrel rifle??

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey just ordered my 36 cal investarms, some 350rb and
010/015/020 patches, that should get me started, I have. 2 and 3 F swiss. Witch would be better?
Start with whatever powder you reach for first, as at some point you are going to try different powders anyway. Your new gun will tell you what it likes. I don’t currently have a 36 caliber, but in my 32 caliber guns I use 12 to 15 grains of 4F or 3F Swiss under a patched 1-1/2 buck, and get less than quarter size groups at 25 yards (well at least the guns will). I’ve tried them out to 50 yards, but realistically keep things to 30 to 35 yards max. Just me.

Personally opinion, but with a new 36 caliber gun, I would start with 15 grains of your choice of powder and work up from there with small powder charge increases at 25 yards and see what happens. Once you have an accurate load figured out at 25 yards, increase the distance and powder charge as your gun recommends.

It would be nice to have a powder measure with at least 5 grain increments (allows you to easily load in 2-1/2 grain increments accurately), probably available for $15 to $20 at places like TOW that will go to at least to 50 grains. Once you and your gun have figured out a load or loads, suggest a fixed measure(s). You will never have to worry about a fix measure going out of adjustment. Sounds like a basic thing, but adjustable powder measures can and will ….

I use some conicals that I cast for plinking that are fun to shoot. I did find a new old stock .350 T/C mould a few years ago. IMHO I think that this little maxi-ball it would be a bit overkill for such small game as squirrels...

20230808_115231.jpg

Attachments

• 20230808_133626.jpg
    20230808_133626.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230808_134809.jpg
    20230808_134809.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240801_232512.jpg
    20240801_232512.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I use some conicals that I cast for plinking that are fun to shoot. I did find a new old stock .350 T/C mould a few years ago. IMHO I think that this little maxi-ball it would be a bit overkill for such small game as squirrels...

View attachment 338448
Pretty fair assessment about 36 caliber conicals in my opinion. The neighborhood squirrels around here are pretty tough, aggressive and dangerous (try and take that hickory nut from one), but I have a couple of target 17 caliber air guns that send a 7 to 8 grain pellet down range at a smidge under 400 FPS. While it doesn’t dispatch squirrels ‘right there’, as they may hang on to the tree limb they are on for a second or two, they wiggle around a bit as they fall to the ground, though they are done by the time they hit terra firma. Might be time to move up to a 40 caliber.

Last edited:
I hunt with a older investarms 36 I use 3 f from 18 to 35 hrs. 350 RB with.015 patch. At 30 grs or above I sight it in dead on at 50 yards. Killed a lot of squirrels with that load.

I hunt with a older investarms 36 I use 3 f from 18 to 35 hrs. 350 RB with.015 patch. At 30 grs or above I sight it in dead on at 50 yards. Killed a lot of squirrels with that load.
Hello, and thanks for the load info
I'll get started when my rifle and ammo arrive , as of lunch time today
They issued a tracking #, my guess
Is wed or Thursday next week

Latest posts

Back