• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 cal CVA Bobcat Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfram

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am considering getting a .36 cal CVA Bobcat from the Possible Shop. I'm curious if the rear sight is fixed or if it's adjustable?

Wolfram - It is slide adjustable left and right. The front sight looks kind of high so you can file it down after you find the right load for it. The sight picture is a little different from the partridge sights I prefer but it looks like they will work ok. I just got one this week. Not a bad gun but the trigger is a little rough. Have to look over the sear surfaces and see if a very little stoning is in order. For the price it's a good gun. GC

Guncobbler,

Thanks for the response. So you can adjust for windage but not elevation. Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? Does it shoot pretty much on as far as elevation?

Take my Deerstalker for example. My Deerstalker is adjustable for elevation, but not windage. The PRBs I shot at 25 and 50 yards a week ago didn't need to be adjusted for windage (which is good being that you can't adjust it for that). In other words, the Deerstalker pretty much dead on as far as windage for two different ball sizes. I'm curious if your Bobcat requires adjustment for elevation or if it pretty much shoots well as is.

I've got a bobcat in .50. Cut the front sight down quite a bit. When I got it, you could cock it, pull the trigger, and sometimes the hammer would go all the way down to the nipple. Usually it stopped about half way. With a little filing, and a little dremeling inside the stock, it works as good as my T/C's. I missed out on two of those last year at Wally's place for $40 a piece. :snore: What was I thinkin'? I went back, they were both gone. Hows come there's no icon for kickin' yer self in the seat of yer britches. Pahaska

Mine has a pretty good trigger. I opened the notch a little on that rear sight, but other than that, it is still completely stock. It is a tack driver with 25 to 30 grains of 3f anything under a Horandy 000 buck wrapped in a pre-lubed Basspro patch. Go very slow on filing that front sight down. Wait until you have your accuracy load worked up. Patch material is critical with mine. Once you work up your load and file the sight down to put it on target, changing the patch can move your group a lot. If it likes Basspro prelubed patches, buy enough to use for several years. Each patch will provide several loadings for the 36 if you get the large caliber patches.
Hope you enjoy it if you do get one!

Runner,

Thanks for the info. It sounds like a decent gun, but this lack of ability to adjust for elevation bothers me a bit. I don't like being locked in to one kind of patch because sometimes you can't get the brand you want because your source dried up, or they're out of business, etc. Then I'd be stuck with compensating for elevation.

Does the Bobcat's front sight sit on a 3/8" dovetail? If so, I'd be able to buy another front sight from a place like the Gun Works if I ever need to drasticly change my elevation setting. I'd feel a lot better about getting the Bobcat if I were able to get replacement front sights for it.

Both sights are in dovetails. I am not sure on the sizes. I guess you could change to a Mountain rifle type sight and have elevation adjustment if you wanted. This is a pretty basic gun. It is fairly heavy for such a little gun because of the thick walls on barrel. I have seriously considered inletting a real buttplate onto mine to get rid of the junk that is on it, but that is personal preference, not because it doesn't shoot good.

Just as a thought I've had, but not having adjustable sites doesn't mean you can't adjust your P.O.I. Can't you just experiment with powder charges to change where your shot impacts. Slightly more powder should lower shot impact, and lesser powder to make it rise. To add to anothers post, if the front and rear sights are dovetailed, there is your windage adjustment right there by drifting either sight one way or another.

I'm concerned about being able to make adjustment because it is a small game rifle. The skinny squirrels I've seen running around here in Mississippi have maybe a 2 inch vital zone, 3 inch max. You don't have a lot of play when it comes to cottontails and squirrels. I'm actually considering a 32 cal Deerhunter from October Country. Granted, the fiber optic sights look a little tacky on a sidelock IMHO, but at least they're fully adjustable.

You make a very good point about adjusting the powder charge. I didn't think of that. How much can you change the POI in terms of elevation? Maybe that would be a question to post in the accuracy section?

The Deerhunter and the Bobcat are pretty much the same rifle except for the sights. The CVA has the better sights by the way. Those fiber optic sights are not up to much field use and they don't have dovetails cut for the rear sight. I have the flintlock 50 Deerhunter. The fiber optic top to the front sight is gone from the last time it was in the woods.

Wolfram said:
Runner,

Does the Bobcat's front sight sit on a 3/8" dovetail? If so, I'd be able to buy another front sight from a place like the Gun Works if I ever need to drasticly change my elevation setting. I'd feel a lot better about getting the Bobcat if I were able to get replacement front sights for it.

It has a metric dovetail. Several of the sight companies make sights to fit, but the standard 3/8th is larger so it can be filed down to fit. I have a set that came with a metric rear, with an adaptor and a 3/8" front. I got it from Brownell's, it was made by Williams. The rear holds several different styles of sight that are interchangeable, and even include a peep aperature holder. With the sight out on the barrel that far, you don't need an aperature, the holder allows more light to pass through. :winking: :v

Runner said:
The Deerhunter and the Bobcat are pretty much the same rifle except for the sights. The CVA has the better sights by the way. Those fiber optic sights are not up to much field use and they don't have dovetails cut for the rear sight. I have the flintlock 50 Deerhunter. The fiber optic top to the front sight is gone from the last time it was in the woods.

So I have the choice between a gun that I can't adjust, or one where the sights fall off after field use. Great. I wish I had the money for a custom. It really stinks being poor :( Well, I guess if given the choice, I'd rather have sights that you can't adjust but at least will still be there after I leave the field. There's no sense having nice adjustable sights only to line up a shot and realize that your front sight isn't there anymore.

I think I'll go with the Bobcat. Thanks a lot, Runner, for your insights. It was extemely helpful to me.

I don't have an answer for you, and for that I am sorry. Just applying what I have learned from reloading for pistols that have fixed sights. I just assumed it would be applicable to BP weapons. I have recently purchased a 36 Bobcat from the possible shop, but haven't had a weekend yet to shoot it because of rain. If the thread is still going I will post what I've came up with.

There are lots of options for replacing the rear sight. I actually like mine now that I am used to it. It isn't too bad. It took 2nd place in a meat shoot and in the top five several oither times at shoots. It doesn't have the horsepower for large long range steel plates that have to be knocked down. The Buffalo at Fort Hill is one it will not drop reliably.
Good luck!

Alwayshooting,

No need to apologize my friend:) You're right in that adjusting the powder charge should make it higher or lower. If I need the POI higher, I can always back off the charge, or use FFg (or Pyrodex RS) instead of FFFg (or Pyrodex P) in order to slow the velocity down further to help change the elevation. You reminded me that this is an option for changing elevation. Your advice, along with Runner's, really helped me to settle on the Bobcat. I put an order in for it last night. I'd love to see what results you get with your Bobcat. Even if the thread isn't going strong by the time you are able to give your gun a workout, revive the thread and tell me how you're doing. That way both myself and others considering the .36 Bobcat will get some insight into how it shoots.

Runner,

I also noticed on the Gun Works website that they have a front blade made by CVA that looks like the same front blade on the Bobcat for $6. So if I need a new one, at least I know it's available. That, al ong with experimenting with different loads has eased my concerns about adjustability. I'm going to try the Bobcat as is first, but it's nice to know that there are different rear sights to be had. I'll ask about sources later if I find the stock sights inadequate.

Wolfram, just something for you to think about. The Lyman hunting sight set that is on the Deerstalker will fit the Bobcat. It is available from Dixie Gun Works, item EB1111 for $23.95.

I bought my 76 year old dad the .36 Bobcat. Since he also has the .54 Deerstalker and his old eyes are used to those sights, I thought I would install them on the Bobcat as well. The front sight slid right in perfectly. I had to lightly file the rear sight dovetail. Be very careful if you choose to go this route, as the rear folding Deerstalker sight is somewhat fragile. Lightly tap with a small punch/hammer etc. Just don't force it.

I also experimented with another adjustable rear sight from an old CVA Hawken, and it too fit well on the Bobcat. While the rifle is a bare-bones basic muzzleloader, you do have options to make it a nice little shooter. I hope this helps.

Leaky Roof

Leaky Roof,

That helps a lot. I'm going to try the sights that are on it, but if that doesn't work out, it's nice to know that I can replace it. I figured that with mass production that the Bobcat's sights would probably be interchangable with other CVA and even Traditions sights being that they're all made by the same Spanish company. I also noticed that RMC Sports sells replacement sights for CVA octagon barrels. I presume these will work for the Bobcat as well.

Thanks for the info:) You can never have too many options. :thumbsup:

Those hunting sight from Lyman is very useful. I have mounted it on my Lyman Trade Hawken cal. 54. It is far better then the black sights which are mounted by the producer.

Latest posts

Back