• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

.36 Cal for Coyotes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gizamo

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes, a .45 or larger would prolly be better. :bow:

But my most accurate ML is a .36 cal. And given it's ability to shoot in my hands to 100 yards with great confidence...I'm thinking of trying my hand with it on songdogs.

So I'm asking opinions of those that have done this with .36 cal. What were the field results?

giz

The biggest thing I ever killed with my .36 was a raccoon at 50 yards. The shot was through the lungs. He ran about 10-15 yards. The load was a .350 ball over 40gr of 3F.

I'd be interested to hear how it performs on larger critters from the others.

A .36 is plenty for coyotes, especially when you can shoot accurately. It will mess up the pelt though, depending on the shot/angle, etc. My .36 will mess up rabbits & squirrels, if not shot right. Good luck.

Haven't used a muzzleloader, but I've sure killed a passel of them with .350 round balls,,,,er,,, 00 buckshot. In fact we whacked a bunch with 0 buckshot loads too. Didn't matter to us which we used, other than finding the cheapest on sale somewhere.

In an area we used to hunt a lot, a 12 gauge with 00 or 0 buck was standard, and an outstanding performer. All it took was one of them, and the critter was either slowed enough for a second shot or killed outright, depending on the landing zone. With the extra accuracy for good shot placement from a 36 cal rifle, I figure it would be absolutely deadly. The balls sure enough do their job, even when started at slower velocity that typical 36 cal rifle loads.

If you are confident and it's your most accurate rifle, I can't see why not.
Me, I use my .54. It's just a bit more "insurance" as some of these yotes here are starting to resemble small wolves. A .54 roundball usually is a pass thru with little pelt damage. I wouldn't worry bout a .36. Good Luck.

I have killed several dozen with a .22 rifle while baleing hay, no problem. Also killed one with a.32 round ball a year or so ago. 25 grains of 3f while hunting tree rats. Don't need 25gr for tree rats but thats what it was sighted in for. Hit it in the chest and passed through. If it had spent it's time running instead of trying to brake dance it would have made it a little ways :grin: . A .36 would be good for coyotes. They are getting big here also :shocked2: . Larry Wv

Here in Maine, they have cross bred with the Red Wolf. They are getting to be big animals. We saw two this past year that were the far bigger then what we're use to seeing. The State of Maine would do well to pay a bounty on these decimators of deer and turkeys. The recent killing of the young woman in Canada by these animals is foretelling.

From now until the Summer I hunt Coyote exclusively. Hoping to get a few more this year.

giz

Hey gizamo,

I just "ran the numbers" on .350 balls in the Lyman manual, and thought you'd be interested. Our 00 buck loads killed well any time they connected at 50 yards, leaving the muzzle at only around 1250. Figure they dropped to 1k velocity at 50. Starting a .350 ball at 2k from a rifle leaves it whistling along at around 1k at 100 yards, and starting it at only 1700fps still leaves it doing around 900fps at 100.

Point that rifle right, and you've got a dead critter at 100 for sure.

Saw a wolf Bow hunting Elk in Colorado a few years back. Only one I ever saw. It looked big. HOPE the coyotes don't get that big around here. Know a guy that had a half wolf half dog. It wasn't wrapped too tight (think thats normal) still have a few scars on my arm :( If the wolf-coyote turn out that way you have a BIG problem. Larry Wv

giz is right.
Even the CT DEP website says the yotes have red wolf dna in them. Seen some tracks last week I could put my fist into so it looks like i'll have some fun this winter.

Coyotes are known to cross bread with feral dogs, also, and a large print- over 3 inches long and 2 1/2 inches wide would indicate either a coy-dog, or that cross with a wolf. You need to know the difference in Coyote tracks and dog tracks, and I suppose, in some areas now where wolves roam free, since you are more likely to see their footprints, than the animals, themselves.

All dogs exhibit 4 feet, each with 4 toes, and usually all toes will have claws showing.

The coyote's two Inner twos will be larger than his outer two toe pads, while he domestic, or "feral" dog will be the opposite: inner two toes will be SMALLER, than the outer two toes.

The Wolf's prints will be larger than the dog, or coyote, and all toes pad prints will be roughly the same size.

The Fox, the other member of the dog family, also exhibits toe pads the same size, but the very small size of the fox track is easily distinguished from that of even the smallest adult dog. The Fox also exhibits direct registering, where the rear foot steps directly on top of the foot impression left by the front foot, when walking. In this aspect, the fox print is like that of the Cat family, but is easily distinguishable from a cat print in that cats retract their claws when walking, and leave an round shaped print, compared to the dog's oval shaped track, ( with claws showing).

Cross breeds of dogs and coyotes can exhibit the characteristics of either family. I have not seen a coyote dog with toes similar to that of a dog, personally: Those crosses I have examined have the characteristic larger pads on the two inner toes.

I am heartened to hear that there are members here who hunt Coyote during the " off-seasons". The Coyote has spread through all 48 states in the past 50 years, and are having a major impact on other wildlife populations. Most wildlife experts believe its Impossible to exterminate the coyote completely, because the animal is too smart. " We only kill the dumb ones", the saying goes. However, if every sportsman's club and gun club would devote 4-8 weekends in January and February to doing sweeping drives for coyotes, to kill as many as possible, it would help. :hatsoff:

Back