• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

36 ot 42" barrel length

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frenchymanny

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm getting closer and closer to ordering my fowler kit :wink:
It will be a 20ga, used mostly for goose and grouse, with the eventual rabbit.

Should I go 36 or 42?

Manny

I'd go with the 42 but I'm 6' 5" tall and i like long guns, also the longer barrel will shoot a tighter pattern past 30yds

jmho
Galen

manny,
Is this fowler to be used for re-enacting? If so, most boat or canoe guns were shorter for better manuvering. But as previously stated, longer the barrel the better the accuracy. My personal choice would be the 42"
mrbortlein

42" .16 ga would be a good compromise for both goose and grouse. The .20 ga is fine for grouse but not the best choice for geese.

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.I am going with a kit, and the options are 42 or 36, nothing in between. Frankly, I don't feel comfortable shortening the barrel myself :shocked2:

Manny

I don't think you will regret the 42" barrel if down the line you can shorten the gun if it is really a problem which is very unlikley but you cannot stretch the 36" barrel out to 42", I have had and still have one 44" barrel and would not hesitate to have a 48"barrel if I ever put together another gun.

For a 20 ga. Fowler?

36"....

Fowler007.jpg

Giz

The boat/canoe gun thing seems to be a modern concept. While shorter smoothbores did exist, they do not appear to have been common or to have been considered a separate class of gun in their time. Today they do seem to have found a place as a successful marketing ploy.

My 20 has a 44" barrel and is easy to carry & shoot. I would go for the 42" without hesitation. You may want to consider a larger caliber for geese. Around here the 20 is fine for turkey (which is similar in size to a goose) but the range for turkey is much closer than for geese.

The twenty works great on turkey due to the closer ranges and also because you are taking head and neck shots. You can't be that choosy when trying for geese or ducks for that matter. Bigger is definitely better for this job.

I think you are expecting too much of a 20 gauge flintlock if you intend to hunt Geese with it, unless you have some barrow pits, or farm ponds, where you can sneak up close to the geese and shoot them as they rise up off the water at dawn. A larger bore gun would be a better choice, just to be able to deliver a pattern with more shot in a shorter length of space.

You ask a question that makes me want to know more information. Are you hunting Canada Geese, or the smaller species? Are you hunting ruffed grouse, or the larger wood grouse? Where you hunt can help answer the barrel length question, too.

I think you would like a 36" 20 ga. flintlock for upland game up to and including those larger birds. The shots will be at 30 yards and less, and that happens to be about as far as a cylinder bore smoothbore can effectively put a pattern on a flying bird.

But, if the primary use is to hunt Canada Geese, I would recommend increase the bore to at least 16, and 12 would be better. Then, the 42" barrel would also be a hands down choice, too. Shots on Canada geese can be inside 25 yards, for sure, but many are out at 35 and 40 yards, and sometimes further. You probably will have to pass on the over 40 yard shots, simply because you can not use lead shot in your gun to hunt Migratory Waterfowl, in N. America. The steel shot now available, and the Bismuth shot some people can still find, are so much lighter in weight that you just don't have the pellet energy at that 40 yard distance, or beyond to insure a kill.

All of us are anticipating working with Hevishot, Nice shot, and Ecotungsten shot, and other non-toxic shot that is promised to be as heavy as lead, and soft enough to be used in the soft steel barrels from which most ML shotguns and fowlers are made. These products have to be made available to reloaders, ( as components for sale) and the price needs to come down before most of us can justify the cost to try them, and then use them to return to hunting Waterfowl with our Smoothbores. BP smoothbores do not occupy a large part of the thinking of these companies, when it comes to sales.

We disappeared when steel shot was required, almost 30 years ago, and manufacturers just don't understand how many people are out there who would like to use their flintlocks and percussion MLers to hunt migratory birds. Most of us have hunted in these past 30 years using modern guns shooting steel shot, so we have also " disappeared" as a distinct marketing niche.

These companies cannot afford to hire survey companies to do market research to find out what kind of interest there may be in their products. Websites like this are their best source of information. Surveys done occasionally by organizations like the NRA, or NMLRA, often supply many manufacturers with a sense of what products the marketplace wants. But, that is about it.

If the companies provide their shot as a reloading component, it will be used by both cartridge reloaders, and by MLers. But, some of these non-toxic shot have been talked about for several years, and only this past year have any of the cartridges actually appeared on shelves for some of the products. Paying $2-$3 per shotgun shell so that you can steel the shot from them to use in a ML makes for very expensive shooting. A few can afford to do that; most hunters can't. Add the limited bag limits for Canada Geese, and most shooters are staying home.

The good news is that the huge daily bag limites for the lesser species of geese and the long, late winter seasons, when nothing else can be hunted save varmints, opens a possibility for lots of shooting, limited competition for blinds at the goose clubs, which will help MLers get the birds in closer for those short range shots. Stay tuned. :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

42" hands down, as previously mentioned the 42 is closer to longer historic examples. As for hunting, the common trade guns of the 18th century were pretty darn close to 20g and obviously did a fine job of being light, maneuverable, and effective at taking game etc. You'll use less powder, less shot, and create a challenge for yourself to become a better hunter.

Going heavy on the bore is akin to bow hunters thinking they need a 75lbs draw to take whitetail when a 40 will do the job well without the strain. :wink:
However, I do agree with Russ T, if your sole purpose is goose, heavier is better but for all around multi purpose the 20 will be fine.

BTW, who's kit are you picking up? Some are light in 20 and some are a beastly heavy.

Manny,
I would have to agree with Rich. Your barrel length on your fowler should fit in with your personna and the original weapon that you are basing your build on. As far as longer barrels shooting farther.....length has nothing to do with how far a shotgun shoots or how tight the pattern is. That is determined by the choke (or lack of it) in the barrel. This is evidenced by watching a friend who consistently breaks clay birds at 60-70 yards with a Remington 1100 that has an 18" barrel. He is a gunsmith and the shotgun has a choke in it of his own design. You want to see some trap shooters with high dollar guns who get bent out of shape. :)

If the companies provide their shot as a reloading component, it will be used by both cartridge reloaders, and by MLers. But, some of these non-toxic shot have been talked about for several years, and only this past year have any of the cartridges actually appeared on shelves for some of the products. Paying $2-$3 per shotgun shell so that you can steel the shot from them to use in a ML makes for very expensive shooting. A few can afford to do that; most hunters can't. Add the limited bag limits for Canada Geese, and most shooters are staying home.
Cutting apart shot shells is expensive. Is an altenative such as bismuth shot available as a component?

There was a limited supply of bismuth available as a component a year or two ago, but I never saw any on the shelves, here. I heard about it, tho'. And a friend with better connections than I have got a couple of boxes of shells to test. The owner of the company who made that shot died last year, and its unclear when bismuth shotgun shells will be available again, or if the new owners will make it available as a component.

I do understand that the formula for making the bismuth shot was changed after early tests showed that the back, or bottom 2 or 3 rows of shot shattered into dust, on ignition. The new formula apparently has stopped that phenomena, meaning the all the shot put in the shotcup actually comes out the barrel as Shot, instead of partly in dust.

I would go with the 42 in barrel. Not only is it more like the majority of the old timers, which were at times even longer, but the balance would be better. At least for me. I shoot a 42 in. VA fowler in 20 ga. made for me by Jackie Brown that fits me better than any gun I've owned. She comes up perfect and the front site is "right there." I don't even have to think about aiming. Just point and shoot. I've handled some shorter that just didn't work for me as far as balance. Of course, it may work different for you. I use it on dove, chukkar and grouse and love it. But like the guys said, if you're going after geese, go with a bigger bore.

Link
Link

Here's a couple suppliers for the bismuth yielded from a quick Google search. Not cheap, but neither is the steel alternative.

Back