• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F IN A .45 CAL FLINTER

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghartung

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'M NEW TO ALL THIS STUFF, I'M I PUTTING MYSELF IN DANGER BY SHOOTING 60-70 GR. OF 3F BLACK POWDER OUT OF MY .45 CAL FLINTER ? THANKS BOWDAWG

The standard response is to make sure you don't exceed manufacturers recommendations. My opinion, that's not a real hevy load at all with a prb.

Goos shooting,

Java Man

I use 50 grains of 3F from a revolver so I don't see any problem with a slightly larger charge from a rifle, but you may want to start with the lightest load you feel is appropriate and work your way up toward the maximum with an eye toward the accuracy of each load you try.

I'M NEW TO ALL THIS STUFF, I'M I PUTTING MYSELF IN DANGER BY SHOOTING 60-70 GR. OF 3F BLACK POWDER OUT OF MY .45 CAL FLINTER ? THANKS BOWDAWG

FYI...load data for 3F charges is simply a 15% reduction from published 2F load data.

For example, TC's published load data for a .45cal patched round ball shows 110grns 2F as the max load.
The corresponding max load data for 3F would be 93.5grns.

I use 3F patched ball loads in my .45cal flintlocks as follows:

40 & 50grns 3F for squirrels & targets

90grns 3F for deer hunting
(a 19% reduction from TC's 110grn 2F max load data)

Perfect accuracy, and deer fall within sight of the stand.

:redthumb:

not to get off topic....but when you shoot a lighter load for small game and targets do you change yer sights to hit yer poa..................bob

not to get off topic....but when you shoot a lighter load for small game and targets do you change yer sights to hit yer poa..................bob

Bob, judging from your photo, I'm just a little older than you (kids are in their 30's, up and out on their own)
::
so I've managed to spoil myself with more than one .45cal flintlock...and their individual sight settings stay the same for the paricular purpose & load, whether squirrels & targets, deer hunting, etc
:peace:

Roundball, with 50 gr 3f in a 45 cal what kind of accuracy do you get on the range? Sighted in at, say 15 yds is there any noticeable drop at 50 yds?
I'm also a 45 cal flint beginner and have just finished shooting the tin of 2f I bought with the rifle - I found 50 gr 2f to be the minimum beyond about 30 yds, any less and the ball begins to drop. I'm converting to 3f tomorrow and will try 50 gr as you suggest out to the 80 yd max on my range, and see what happens.

Roundball, with 50 gr 3f in a 45 cal what kind of accuracy do you get on the range? Sighted in at, say 15 yds is there any noticeable drop at 50 yds?
I'm also a 45 cal flint beginner and have just finished shooting the tin of 2f I bought with the rifle - I found 50 gr 2f to be the minimum beyond about 30 yds, any less and the ball begins to drop. I'm converting to 3f tomorrow and will try 50 gr as you suggest out to the 80 yd max on my range, and see what happens.

A single ragged hole to cloverleafs from 25-50yds, sitting in a chair with my elbow braced on my chest.
Never tried a 15yd vs. 50yd comparison...I just zero at 50yds and enjoy
::

I shoot 50 grns for target and 70 grns for deer. the target load was developed by the original owner, The deerload I developed when I decided to try it for hunting.After 70 grns the accuracy went in the crapper,so I wasn't anywhere near the max load. Dale

I shoot 50 grns for target and 70 grns for deer. the target load was developed by the original owner, The deerload I developed when I decided to try it for hunting.After 70 grns the accuracy went in the crapper,so I wasn't anywhere near the max load. Dale
[url] FYI...in[/url] case you might be experiencing this:

I had patch failures with full power hunting loads of Goex FFFg when I used .015" prelubed cotton patches.

I switched to .018" prelubed pillow ticking and an Oxyoke wonderwad, accuracy is unbelieveable, and the patches look like you could just pick them up and reuse them

Last edited by a moderator:
For over 20 yrs. I've shot the manure out of my .45 in the same way.
35 gr. 3Fg and .440 RB in a 32", 1:66 twist for small and up close (and some target).
65gr. 3Fg. and a .445 RB for deer and other larger (yotes, chucks, etc.) and PLENTY of target.
70gr. 3Fg. and a "maxi" on pig and blacks.(and some targets)
The .45 is a nice round, good for anything (if you can shoot "reasonably well" within effective range.
The 65/.445 is nice for me at 75yds (60 is more comfortable).
The 70/maxi is best in these New England swamps out to 50 yds. Reason being, usually you can't see much over 35, and at that, there will be an ocasional "twig" in your path, The extra weight in the maxi will help carry you thru.
Actually - :imo: - it's the best. ( :m2c: )
As for sighting,,,,,,, learn your "hold". Mine is sighted in at 25 yds. for the smallest target (squirrel brains), and learn the hold for the others. Just happens to be that the 65/.445 is 1/2" low at 75, and the maxi's "group" about "right-on" at 50.
PS; that's why I'm going .75 smoothie. :: ::

Back