• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F in a .54?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 44 grs FFFg in my .58 Enfield with good results on breakable targets at 50 and 100 yards. This pushes a 500 gr minie.
60 grs FFg was the standard powder load during the Civil war, with devastating results.
I have a .69 blanket flintlock and a .75 brown bess. I was taught that to use 3f from .69 and smaller and 2f from .69 and larger and either or in the.69. I have always had good results from this rule.

I shoot 90gr of 2f T7 out of my 54 GPR percussion gun, kills elk and moose. I could shoot 3f if I wanted to also. I shoot 90gr 3f goex out of my 54 GPR flintlock, seems to leave less fouling with no accuracy change. I use a .535 ball and .015 patch lightly lubed with mink oil.

Trying to zero my Colonial .54 using 3F was futile. I tried every combination of powder charge, patch thickness, and ball size and could get no decent group even at 25 yards. Then I read something here about 2F in .54 so I bought a can. Instant improvement. Settled on 80 grains. All I need now is sight adjustment and a 50 yards check. I was amazed powder granulation could make such a difference.

Back