• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F in a .54?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use 44 grs FFFg in my .58 Enfield with good results on breakable targets at 50 and 100 yards. This pushes a 500 gr minie.
60 grs FFg was the standard powder load during the Civil war, with devastating results.
I have a .69 blanket flintlock and a .75 brown bess. I was taught that to use 3f from .69 and smaller and 2f from .69 and larger and either or in the.69. I have always had good results from this rule.

I shoot 90gr of 2f T7 out of my 54 GPR percussion gun, kills elk and moose. I could shoot 3f if I wanted to also. I shoot 90gr 3f goex out of my 54 GPR flintlock, seems to leave less fouling with no accuracy change. I use a .535 ball and .015 patch lightly lubed with mink oil.

Trying to zero my Colonial .54 using 3F was futile. I tried every combination of powder charge, patch thickness, and ball size and could get no decent group even at 25 yards. Then I read something here about 2F in .54 so I bought a can. Instant improvement. Settled on 80 grains. All I need now is sight adjustment and a 50 yards check. I was amazed powder granulation could make such a difference.

Trying to zero my Colonial .54 using 3F was futile. I tried every combination of powder charge, patch thickness, and ball size and could get no decent group even at 25 yards. Then I read something here about 2F in .54 so I bought a can. Instant improvement. Settled on 80 grains. All I need now is sight adjustment and a 50 yards check. I was amazed powder granulation could make such a difference.
Well.........
Here's a group I shot out of a Kibler Colonial in 54 with 3f Swiss.

IMG_20210829_113037.jpg

Long, long ago I used 2F and 3F interchangeably. Powder was only available locally and one had to take what was available at the time. Eventually that changed and I started using 3F almost exclusively in everything. Only a few particular loads in my rifles preferred 2F.

Everything from .32 up to .62 did just as well, or better, when fed 3F as opposed to 2f. It was easy to find great accuracy not only for deer but also for small game and targets and only use one powder.

Would I be just as satisfied with 2F as I am with 3F? Sure, probably, and all it would take would be starting over and working up the proper loads.

I have owned T/C Renegades and Lyman Deerstalker in .54 caliber. Each seemed to like 90 grains of FFFg and a patched round-ball. Well, all I ever shot was patched round-ball. I tried Great Plains and Maxi ball and Maxi hunter bullets. Recoil was just too heavy for me. FFFg burns cleaner and hotter so you get higher velocity than with FFg.

Latest posts

Back