• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F powder vs. 2F in .54cal flintlock rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used tons of 2F during 10 years of Rev War enacting, and simply got used to it; not too big, not too small! I do have 3F for pistol or whatever, and 4F for priming. I don't have the patience to try numerous combinations like some of the really dedicated guys; I'm more "minute of pie plate" as someone posted on here, and I haven't forgotten that quote! :)

My feeling is 3f starts the ball fasted and 2f pushes it off a little slower. Sharper kick with 3f and maybe a better bite on the rifling with 2 f. I'm sure there are all kinds of variables that can affect the way your rifle shoots other than 2f or 3f, long barrel, short barrel, big bore or small, and many others, this is just one thing I surmise.

I've always liked and used 4F in the pans of my flintlocks. But I have to say that I've also had excellent results with 3F in the pan. Maybe just me but I can't tell the difference between them; they're both quick.

Back