• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3F powder vs. 2F in .54cal flintlock rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Take 2 or 3 gallon milk jugs full of water. Set them in line at your max hunting range, about 75 to 100 yards. Load up your accurate hunting load and shoot at the bottles. If the bullet makes it into the third jug, that load will put down an elk.

DSC03411.JPG
DSC03413.JPG
3f works for me top load work up at 50yrds then a sight in/ 2f not as good in my 54 gain twist Hoyt barrel swiss powder and 10 oz denim tallow lube

Here are my results so far. I attended the Eastern Primitive Rendezvous in Zions Grove, PA (10/20 -10/27) I had no time to work up a load for my .54cal Woodsrunner (40" barrel). A friend had an old TC book with recommended powder charges. For the TC Renagade (26" barrel) it was a Wonder Lube patched .530 ball with 80gr FF Goex powder. So I gave it a go. I was shocked at how accurate this load was and placed 2nd in the Men's 25/50yd aggregate. I really don't care about winning competitions, as I built this rifle to hunt a doe or a bear in PA's Muzzleloading Season in 2 weeks (10/19 -10/26).
On the other hand I spoke with some experienced shooters, who have been competing in flintlock shoots for over 40yrs. A few guys told me was using too much powder. And I should start with 50gr for 80gr was excessive. While I do plan to work up a load by experimenting with different powders/amounts in the future, I have confidence in this load for this season. I'll keep you posted on how the hunt goes. Thanks again for everyone's input. Heck, that's why I joined this forum!

I continue to shoot FFg in my .60 NW trad gun and .50 rifles because I have so much on hand. I shoot FFFg in my .45, .36 and .32 though.

Back