• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

3fff or 4ffff

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just one more vote, here. I always prime with 4F. If I give out of 4F I prime with whatever I'm shooting.

4f goex also is coated wit hgraphite and so is the 7 f. When I'm hunting I just use fffg in both barrel and pan.

Like Roundball I use 4f for everything. Always have without problems and very happy with it.

Last week out in the woods with my new GPR I had 4fg in the pan. At the range it worked great but in the field handling the rifle in various carry positions I noticed my prime was leaking out between the barrel and the pan cover. A courser powder grain size might stop that leak.

Greenjoytj said:
Last week out in the woods with my new GPR I had 4fg in the pan. At the range it worked great but in the field handling the rifle in various carry positions I noticed my prime was leaking out between the barrel and the pan cover. A courser powder grain size might stop that leak.

This is a "get what you pay for" moment.

Dan

I use 4fg in the pan, after see ultra high speed video of the pan flash I was worried about the larger ember of powder being ejected from the pan by the pan flash. I reason the finer the powder the shorter the distance these embers will fly out.
I don't want to get hit in the face by these burning particles of powder, shooting the flint lock is scary enough with that pan flash so close to my face. Maybe when I get more experience with it the fear factor with subside.

I use 4fg but for a different reason: it's fast. IMHO you do not need to worry about particles of powder being near your face. In flintlocks, my concern would be flint fragments instead of BP particles. In percussion guns, I would worry more about percussion cap fragments than BP particles.

I use eye protection and feel that all shooters should do so. The jet from the vent is stronger than the pan flash, but it is traveling away from your face.

By all means use eye protection to protect you from flint fragments and cap fragments.

BTW, the high speed videos you saw of flintlocks igniting, were likely mine.

Regards,
Pletch

Greenjoytj said:

The leak would still be there but it might prevent powder from falling out. However, careful carrying and frequent checking is preferable, IMHO.

3f at all times. Used 4f for years but did have problems with moisture and did miss a deer once due to wet prime. It gets really humid down here. Switched to 3f and never looked back.

I prime with whatever is going down the bore. Lately it's been FFg Swiss in my smoothie. The deer sure wish it didn't work so good!

I ordered my first flintlock today, a Lyman GPR in 50 cal. I am gathering I can use 3fff for the bore and pan here in coastal east texas.. That would be good because I followed a link to powder inc and they are out of 4fff until feb-march in Goex, So I will be good to go with 5 lbs. (min. order) of 3fff?

IMO, 3Fg powder works fine for priming and shooting. Don't worry about the 4F powder.

Living where you do, where the humidity is pretty high the 3Fg powder is less likely to absorb water that has condensed in a slightly fouled pan.

Users of 4F powder have been known to say, "My 4F prime turned to soup."

I ran some tests on this and found that neither 3Fg or 4F powder would get wet at 100 percent humidity if they were in a clean dry pan but if the pan had some fouling from a previous shot or from poor cleaning practices the 4F powder would get damp much faster than the 3Fg powder in the pan.

Damp priming powder often won't ignite.

kbuck said:
Seems like I just read in a thread here recently that 3F is coated with graphite which is intended to help it flow better and to give it somewhat of a moisture repellency, while 4F has no such coating.
I have used 2F in the pan of my fowler (when I forgot my priming flask) and had no problems with ignition.

All Goex is graphited.
None of the Swiss is.
I doubt Schuetzen is graphited either but don't know off hand.

Dan

I haven't used anything other than 4f for prime on a regular basis since I have plenty of it, but, last weekend I was on a trial walk shoot and ran out of 4f in my primer. So, I just dumped some 2f out of my horn into the pan for the last 2 targets. I could not tell any difference in the way the gun fired.

Latest posts

Back