• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

40 cal Lee REAL bullet molds? Anyone interested.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see lots of talk, but how many of us are interested in having custom molds built for 40 cal? I was thinking a target of around 170 to 180 grains, using the typical lee design. This should be short enough for the common 1:48 twist we see in many of our RB barrels. From what I see the $250 set up fee is waived if a minimum of 40 units is ordered. I know I would take 2, and have others that may speak for another few. Sorry if this is a repeat of prior chats, I could not find any in my search.

I see lots of talk, but how many of us are interested in having custom molds built for 40 cal? I was thinking a target of around 170 to 180 grains, using the typical lee design. This should be short enough for the common 1:48 twist we see in many of our RB barrels. From what I see the $250 set up fee is waived if a minimum of 40 units is ordered. I know I would take 2, and have others that may speak for another few. Sorry if this is a repeat of prior chats, I could not find any in my search.
I would be in for one or more if they are willing to make them.

I would be in for one or more if they are willing to make them.
For what ballistic considerations I Know not, But the TC ' Maxi ' bullet ,If only one I have is for a 50 cal seems to shoot very well & Ide expect one of 40 cal might do as well . my first rifle was a 40cal Delcur barrel 1 in 48 .I used a McQuire made 'Picket style conical' patched till it got firm then trimmed the thin greased ' Lawn' kerchief patch I it shot OK up to two hundred yards That TC mould was the only TC anything I.ve owned ,Ime tempted to get or make one in 45 cal.
Rudyard's view

I'm on the road tomorrow, but I'll dig out some of my 40 cal REALs from my custom Mold. The 40 cal pistol bullet aren't stepped like a REAL, and may have issues moving off the powder.
Mine are 187grs, using pure lead.
They work pretty good for me with 60grs fffg and an overpower wad in a Coleraine barrel.

Thanks Eterry.
So much knowledge on this site. I was hoping to see if anyone was interested. Appreciate those that replied. I will contact Lee again and try to lock in an price and timeliness.

Eterry - what twist you shooting from?

I'm on the road tomorrow, but I'll dig out some of my 40 cal REALs from my custom Mold. The 40 cal pistol bullet aren't stepped like a REAL, and may have issues moving off the powder.
Mine are 187grs, using pure lead.
They work pretty good for me with 60grs fffg and an overpower wad in a Coleraine barrel.
I have been waiting to try some of yours since October 2021, if you ever want to sell a few I want to shoot a couple before buying a mold.

Back